Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay for sale  (Read 2090 times)

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
Hay for sale
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:44:20 pm »
Mini round bales of hay for sale, made this July,  30 - 40 kg   £7 each
I'm just east of Linlithgow
Dave

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Hay for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:34:30 am »
I'm interested in a few Dave. How big is a mini-round bale then? 
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:27:26 am »
I might be interested as well-depending on diameter?

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »
Hi, the bales are 70cm x 60cm so great for fitting in cars etc, they're baled tighter than small square bales which weigh between 16 to 25kg,  they unroll just like the big round bales.
Dave

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 01:22:50 am »
Hi Folks, if the price of hay this year  is cheaper than last year don't be scared to tell me !  what is a fair price for this size of bale ?
You're welcome to come & see them with no obligation to buy any ........ you may have to stand & blether about smallholding though !
Dave

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 05:55:36 am »
In Dorset, small bales fetch £3-3.50 currently. On that basis, your bales look somewhat over-priced but I'd say it really all comes down to quality. If you really know how to make great hay, then charge for it. There's a lot of crap around, I can tell you. There's quite a bit of art and science behind good hay-making as I've found out myself with my own mistakes.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 07:56:08 am »
Hi Dave,

Sorry, wasn't shunning you - just busy and had forgotten all about this.

For reference, there's a farm between the Kincardine Bridge and Skinflats who are selling very good square bales this year for £3.30. They sell a lot, and will have their ear to the ground on price.

So, given that the mini-rounds appear to be less than twice the size of the standard square bales (which aren't square at all of course ??? ), perhaps you're asking a wee bit too much? That said, they have a very grumpy guard dog on a chain of disconcertingly indeterminate length, whereas you have promised to be friendly and blether about smallholding, so that does tip the balance back in your favour a wee bit.

Let me get the next couple of madly busy weeks out of the way first, and I'll give you a shout. We need to do something to up your sales, or you're going to have to change your username  ;) .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 11:49:59 pm »
Thanks for the replys guys, it's all a learning curve & your advice is helpfull.
Dave

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS