Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling in small numbers  (Read 4319 times)

Gwanwyn

• Joined Jul 2012
Selling in small numbers
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:43 pm »
What is the experience of other smallholders in selling very small numbers of sheep in a market.? As someone with just a handful of sheep, I do not have the numbers to make up a good pen. Can you sell just one or two lambs in the fatstock section, when they have reached the required grade? 

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Selling in small numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:03:10 pm »
Yeah its no problem at all, very easy, but expect to get tucked up on price!

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:12:47 pm »
Aye, you won't get as good a price as a decent pen full. Better off selling it in a box if you can.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:47:08 am »
What is a sensible number for a "pen full" please?

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:54:27 am »
A pen full at Thame market and at cirencester market would be from 20-25 lambs in a pen
at thame this can go up to 30 in a pen of store or fat lambs, this may be different at other markets

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:01:44 am »
Depends on the market.  I don't usually take in less than 4.  Best if you can make sure they're matching, so all ewe lambs or all ram lambs.  When you phone the market to book them in tell them exactly what they're getting - tell them if ram lambs haven't been ringed.  The local phrase is "stones in".  I've got "4 Southdown X store ram lambs, stones in" going into Hereford market next week, for instance.  I always make sure my lambs look good, so check their feet and dag them if necessary.  That way you build up a reputation for good stock and the price improves, but it takes lots of time!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:03:40 am »
have you considered selling privately if you only have a few? would save you fuel costs of going to mart.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:46:38 am »
We don't have a big flock and try to take a little pen full of fat lambs 6-12 at a time, even if one or two are slightly out of spec I think we get a few more £ back per head than taking less then 6 at a time when IME (around here at least) people get significantly less per lamb

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:02:02 am »
If it really is a small number much better to sell as meat!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 08:00:34 pm »
Unless you're confident of your ability to judge the condition and/or weight probably better to sell fairly soon after weaning as stores rather than as fat lambs. 

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:02:34 pm »
Might be a better idea, simpler and one trip to the market for you

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 07:51:38 pm »
I was lucky and found a ready market for my tup lambs through contacts at my work.  Only have typically around half a dozen to go each year (they are entire and go straight off their mums at around 14 - 16 weeks old.   I've been lucky and found a farmer who is also a butcher - I drop off a couple of boys at a time, he arranges them going to the abbatoir and getting them back. I pick them up butchered and packed up ready to sell as half lambs.  Used to take them direct to market and wouldn't go back to that if I can help it. 

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 08:13:21 pm »
If you have a choice of marts - it might be a good idea to ask around concerning what breeds go best where.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 03:27:39 pm »
Your looking to give about £10 away each on any you take to market, plus getting them there.
Auctioneers are about the only people making money on sheep.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS