Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Age of sexual maturity for GOS boars?  (Read 2937 times)

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Age of sexual maturity for GOS boars?
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »
Hi, this is my first post here as I usually post on the sheep and cattle boards.  I have a mixed herd of pigs of approx the same age, 2 Gloucester OS boars, 2 Saddleback gilts and 2 Oxford Sandy and Black gilts.  The GOS boars were born on the 29th May 2014 and I had been told that I could keep them as a mixed herd until they reached appox 6 months in age.  Anyway, having watched a particuarly vigorous humping session this morning I am now worried about the gilts falling pregnant and feel I need to either seperate them or slaughter a bit earlier than planned.  I can't find any info on when rare breed pigs reach sexual maturity on the web.  Thanks.
Helen

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Age of sexual maturity for GOS boars?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:48:03 pm »
All the advice I got said separate 4 months at the very latest, boars can definitely be fertile by 5 months.

we had a neighbour with older sows that fell pregnant to a 5 month old Tamworth boy  ::)

Sasha

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 03:25:04 pm »
Separate them the sooner the better I think - I had a gilt get in pig to 5 and a half month old Saddleback.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »
ours were always keen and trying at 5 mths old. whether they can succeed is the question, but if they are chasing the gilts it can bring out the smell of the boar which in theory might taint the meat.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:52:47 am »
I split them off at weaning.  I would expect a GOS boar to be working satisfactorily at six months and, indeed, ours just has!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS