Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what rare breed would you reccommend?  (Read 11014 times)

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: what rare breed would you reccommend?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 05:25:08 pm »
Aren't they great looking sheep.
Cracking horns on them too.
I saw them at the show in Lanark and at other events over the summer as well as in the Scottish Farmer etc.

I like the Irish Moiled cattle.
I'm with you on this one Buttermilk. 
I do like Irish Moiled's too. 
There are some on a dairy (I think) down in Fife.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:29:11 pm by Carse Goodlifers »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 07:52:00 pm »
I like the Irish Moiled cattle.

Does anyone disbud their Shetlands?

I've seen a couple of Moileys at shows and they were a bit mental compared to ours but it's not much of a breed comparison. But I do like the Moileys.

We don't disbud our Shetlands - I like the horns and they aren't aggressive with them, although I can't say I've not had a few bruises. But then, I used to work on a dairy farm with non-horned cattle and had bruises then too.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 07:54:06 pm »
black cows with horns so not even as pretty, so there was no reason to replace them really

But Shetlands aren't all black  :)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 08:01:22 pm »
Yes sorry, I know they arent all black :) yours are very pretty, I like the dun ones and the red ones, the ones here on the common are either black or black with a teeny bit of white, some of the calves are hereford colour as they are hereford cross and I think there is one red and white pure calf

The black cows like to stand in the road and look stern and dont let you drive past, and people living here are more weary of them just because they are black with sharp pointed horns, where the moileds are more "friendly" looking

I like the page on the shetland website about the crossbreeding for commercial farms, some very good 200 day weights there!

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 08:32:31 pm »
some very good 200 day weights there!

Tis the magic Shetland milk - makes for big, lively calves.

I like the dun ones and the red ones

And what about grey ones then? Cora, Caisi, Caiti, Eshne and Eithrigg are a bit put out...

Eshne

Eithrig and Eshne lurking behind Erryl

Sue
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:50:04 pm by Factotum »

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 08:43:00 pm »
and the grey ones  :thumbsup:

sorry if I got cows it would have to be colours other than the black and white ones and the black ones, just for the sake of variety around all these dairy farms  ::)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 09:19:18 pm »
 :fc:  I get some coloured ones too one day.
 Maybe a coloured calf next year (Bonnie's last calf was red, Carys has red bloodlines as does my pending new one)  :fc:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 09:38:59 pm »
Most of our cows are black & white - we had 2 red calves this year using a black bull - both dams had a red sire, so that's where it comes from.

Our greys are from using Collafirth Viking - a grey bull. 3 of his daughters are grey, and 2 of those had the grey & white heifers in the picture using our black bull.

I admit I like the different colours, though to be honest I don't really care what colour they are, so long as they're healthy.

Sue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 08:33:37 am »
I admit I like the different colours, though to be honest I don't really care what colour they are, so long as they're healthy.

I agree - I confess I was disappointed when Annie turned from dun and white to black and white, but she's a fine cow and black is wonderfully shiny  ;D

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:04 am »
Shetland cattle - we started as complete novices with 4 bulling heifers and haven't regretted buying them.

Shetlands are cheap to feed  - they thrive on poor quality grazing, hardy - ours stay outside most of the time even though they have access to a large shed. They are easy calving - had to help a couple over the years, but mostly they do it themselves.

They are quite small  - not too tall, though some of them do get a bit round... Makes them less daunting than the larger commercial breeds.

Nice friendly cattle - trainable - ours will come to a whistle, are trained to go in & out of the shed through a DIY race and the crush - makes it easy for the vet when he comes for TB & BVD testing. Spending time with them helps keep them friendly and calm.

The steers make excellent beef, we sell our beef locally and to some customers in SE England.

There are a number of Shetland keepers on the forum - I'm sure they'll be along soon.

Sue
I know of someone down in camarthenshire who keeps white park cattle. They sell some because they don't quite come up to breed standards, they are a mottled colour, you could try them they will sell them as calves. There is a drawback however they also keep deer and quite often have TB problems.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Cowgirl

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 12:24:50 am »
Please consider the Traditional (Original population) Hereford - they are a category 5 rare breed but their numbers are not increasing because of the numbers of older breeders retiring. They are incredibly docile, easy calving and not too big - ideal beginners' cattle. The only drawback is the horns but many breeders dehorn them and we don't find it much of a problem.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 04:29:46 pm »
There's some White Park cattle across from me, their site is http://www.heathylee.co.uk/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:31:36 pm by Badger Nadgers »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »
you could also try an irish breed of cow, plus on the other hand a northern dairy shorthorn! I can't remember the irish breed of cow, what its called, but its a mottled colour and according to breeders long living and are dual purpose, plus they are more intelligent than other cows, if intelligent is the right word.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 05:36:47 pm »
My personal preference are the long horn cattle, fantastic looking, docile, and produce some fantastic beef.
Sheep wise I suggest you could have a look at the Cotswolds, depending on you land type.Another fantastic looking animal. they are a large breed though. Mine are big dosy creatures but they do respect my shoddy fencing! Will produce some great fleeces.Slower growing than the commercial breeds but grass fed hogget cannot be beaten for taste as far as I'm concerned.
These are only suggestions obviously. If you want to do some good go for rare breeds that are on the decline to keep the numbers up, there's plenty to choose from out there and MOST breed societies are a passionate friendly bunch.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 06:03:01 pm »
Please consider the Traditional (Original population) Hereford - they are a category 5 rare breed but their numbers are not increasing because of the numbers of older breeders retiring. They are incredibly docile, easy calving and not too big - ideal beginners' cattle. The only drawback is the horns but many breeders dehorn them and we don't find it much of a problem.

They're widely held to be the most docile.  We live in Herefordshire and some of the finest herds in the country are still based here.  PM me for details if you'd like a name or two.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS