Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi - New to TAS  (Read 3133 times)

hardtop4x4

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Cumbria
Hi - New to TAS
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:02:44 am »
Hi, I own, with my wife, a smallholding in Cumbria. Sheep farming predominantly in our area with miles and miles of dry stone walling - a subject I have become obsessed with. I can spot a good topping or coping stone from 50 yards now! Anyhow, glad I found the site and hope to contribute in time, but will be sucking you all dry to begin with! Lots o' questions need answering! Cheers, Jon

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hi - New to TAS
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:14 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie :wave:

Our vet's from Cumbria and loves dry stone walling - I guess it's one of those things local lads learn to do without thinking about it. You can take the boy out of Cumbria but you can't take Cumbria out of the boy  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:40:42 am »

Hello from Central Scotland. We have a very similar looking hardtop, and I suspect much worse looking dry stone walls!  :wave:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »
Hello and welcome from Caithness. My BH and I did a dry stone walling course at Tamarak Outdoors about five years ago and are finally using the knowledge to wall a roundhouse here. I say we but it's almost entirely his work.  :wave:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »
My grandad was from Cumbria - Walney Island? and Barrow in furness? not sure if its one and the same place, my geography not that good.
welcome to TAS. I love looking at stone walls but sadly we have none here.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »
Hello and welcome from Caithness. My BH and I did a dry stone walling course at Tamarak Outdoors about five years ago and are finally using the knowledge to wall a roundhouse here. I say we but it's almost entirely his work.  :wave:

Ah, but you're the supervisor and supervising's important  :thumbsup:

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 07:25:56 pm »
 Hello from Skye, spent 8 happy years in Cumbria, it's second only to Scotland!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:28 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. I love to see the dry stone walls disappearing up the hills and into the valleys.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 06:24:35 am »
 :wave: from arbroath
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS