Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: greenhouse idea  (Read 2805 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
greenhouse idea
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:50 pm »
Hi.  following the death of one of my two cockers at the ripe old age of  15 i have a dog pen made from galvanised mesh. Its 8 ftx 8 ft.
Can I sheet it with corrugated clear perspex with the same on the roof and use it as a greenhouse.  There will be gaps at the edges where the swiggly bit of the corrugated sheet ends.

What do you think.
Thanks. 

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: greenhouse idea
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:18:31 pm »
our school has one made from plastic drinks bottles. personally I wouldn't like drafts though.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 02:12:12 pm »
Well the first house i bought ( aaagh nearly 40 years ago i realise !) (in the UK northwest) came complete with such a greenhouse so i set to and, as complete novice, managed to raise seedlings grow tomatoes, melons, cumbers and peppers that I know I could not have grown outside so well so why not try it.
 :fc:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »
You can buy foam strips to fill the swiggles though. You'll get them from the same place that sells the sheets and fixings  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 06:51:33 pm »
It will work for all but the most tender shoots in the harshest of weathers but slugs and mice will get in.

but I would go for it!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:17:17 pm »
I'd give it a go. It's a neat size to get early seedlings going and if you can fill those drafts gaps you could put a little heater in to bring on so much more seedling for early crops  with not too much cost due to the smaller area :thumbsup:

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 09:12:21 pm »
You can get flat sheet clear plastics, indeed, some are double skinned with an air gap in the middle so would be quite good insulation

Can't remember the name of the stuff. but it comes in different widths - 3mm, 5mm, 10mm - and the 10mm stuff is quite rigid/strong.

That would help with the gaps.

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 11:39:41 pm »
Ah, good old twin wall polycarbonate !  I built a new greenhouse 3 years ago with the 10mm stuff, Sellickbhoy is right about the insulation, I still get toms & peppers in december !  & there's no way the gales will blow this greenhouse down !
Dave

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS