Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A really weird thought  (Read 4845 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
A really weird thought
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »
I had a very strange thought today. Did you know that there are millions of people in the UK who never eat ANYTHING unless they've first bought it in a shop, you know, using that money stuff none of us appear to have??  ;D

It sounds daft, but think on it for a minute and it's quite mind blowing.

I can't imagine living that way any more. Can you?

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: A really weird thought
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:32:12 pm »
nope can't imagine it...

mission for next year is veggies to try and stop buying them next...

within another year we will be self sufficient in lamb, chicken, milk (goats) plus other dairy products and hopefully honey...

can't wait...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:36:56 pm »
Some of us have to use that funny money stuff!  :innocent:  But we rely on youse yins to provide us with stuff to buy with the money stuff  :excited:

(and some of us actually LIKE money!!!) :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:15:28 pm »
What? You mean that some people actually don't produce any of their own food? Surely not?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:32:38 pm »
It's weird, isn't it? Apparently you can actually buy things in the supermarket that taste a little bit like real eggs! Who knew!?

It was just the drive back down tonight that got me thinking, munching tomatoes, apples, tomatoes and a homemade blueberry muffin as I went, and with Bloomer's tup lamb in the trailer ready to start next year's lambs....

This wasn't really about money though, it was just the realisation that most people will never eat anything that they haven't bought. We used to be like that too, but we've slowly taken a different path without really thinking about it too hard, and it's amazing how far we've come.

We're far from self sufficient, but not a day goes by without us eating something that we've grown, reared, caught or gathered ourselves, and that does make me smile  :thumbsup: .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:24:25 am »

What's more, some people would actually HATE to eat something that - yuchyuchityyuchyuch - came out of the ground, or out of a cow's teats, or out of a hens bottom  :o :o.  Some city folk are genuinely terrified of the countryside and want nothing to do with it, while others pine and yearn to live here.  I think we're all so lucky to be out here, with land to grow our crops and raise our animals.

I have to have some of that money stuff because I have to buy BACON.  I tried keeping pigs but couldn't dream of killing them  :pig: :pig:  Just sometimes beautiful, delicious hogget isn't enough  ::)

Apart from when I was a student in Edinburgh, I've always managed to grow at least some food and I hope I can go on doing that.  One of my fears is that I get put into a home with no access to the outdoors, let alone somewhere to grow some herbs at least.  :'( :'( :'(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:29:48 am »
Oh, Fleecewife, maybe we should all throw in our lot together and buy a TASer's care home.  :hug:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:43:53 am »
Oh, Fleecewife, maybe we should all throw in our lot together and buy a TASer's care home.  :hug:

There's your next project, right there, Rosemary, Karen...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:37:33 am »

That would be wonderful  :thumbsup:  A bit like an American Silver City, but Green and a bit smelly  ;D

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:12 pm »
pifft, I can't be bothered to grow food (hate veggies anyway :p)  and I like money :) but then, I am not a smallholder, I am an animal collector (and no, I am not eating my ponies..)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 03:56:04 pm »

That would be wonderful  :thumbsup:  A bit like an American Silver City, but Green and a bit smelly  ;D

A further thought  :idea: - with so many of us needing to make a profit from our smallholdings, and so many smallholding nurses out there......how about keeping old folk  :excited:  We could potter around outside all day, visit the veggie patch, cast an eye over the animals and bicker amongst ourselves endlessly about the best way to do this or that.  Old smallholders' heaven  :sunshine:

Mr F suggests doing woodland burials too  :roflanim:  One stop oldie shop  ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:58:11 pm by Fleecewife »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 04:23:36 pm »
Would bringing on a new OAP trigger a standstill on existing OAPs on the holding though?  Could be a logistical nightmare, particularly if visiting grandchildren were to bring in any of their diseases!  :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »
I think this idea, possibly unlike the aged retired smallholders, has legs...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 06:55:46 pm »
 ;D ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 12:39:04 am »
I remember visiting my auntie and my parents taking some veggies that my dad had grown in the garden. She refused to cook them because "they were grown in dirt" so they ate "clean ones from the shop".

She was a bit paranoid though. She'd walk all the way round the boundary of her corner front garden to go in by the front gate as using the back gate involved walking past the dustbin. My mum refused to go the long way round and was shut out of the house because she had been past the bin. I don't know how anyone put rubbish in that bin without getting near it. Or how my mum managed to get back in the house either.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS