Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hampshire downs with Nasty fleeces  (Read 7533 times)

Suebrew

• Joined Oct 2014
Re: Hampshire downs with Nasty fleeces
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 10:35:38 am »
MarchesFarm that is very helpful that would account to the run lines down the side of his body.  We did have a lot of rain.  For that they must have had the strike earlier than I had realised.  I will treat them a lot earlier this year!  I was lucky that it had healed but hate to think I had not noticed earlier.  As you can tell I am just a novice at this and we learn by our mistakes.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:53 am »
I Clik the lambs as soon as I see a greenbottle, the main flystrike culprit around here, and put an entry in the diary to reapply 16 weeks later if the flies are still active. Ewes we just keep an eye on (shearers don't want to shear a Clik'd sheep!) and apply it as soon as the fleece is about 1cm long (enough for the maggots to cling to).  Feet, of course, can be struck, so limpers need to be inspected promptly any time.

Suebrew

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:26 pm »
Thank very much I will keep on top of it this year.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 11:23:50 pm »
It could well be dermatophilis the same bug that causes rain scald & mud fever in horses. Loves warm moist conditions. It can be treated with antibiotics or treated/prevented by dusting the back with zinc sulphate. Or making a 1% zinc sulphate spray or dip.
The fleece grows back a different colour when the skin has been inflamed for any reason. You get the same eg after surgery on Siamese cats

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 11:27:00 am »
A couple of our Southdowns got rain scald after the awful winter of 2012 - the fleece grew back the right colour but very tight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS