Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pears...yay or nay?  (Read 1556 times)

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
Pears...yay or nay?
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:46:35 pm »
We've had a bumper crop on our pear tree this year and none of us are actually that keen on pears. I have a medium tubby full of them and the sheep are really quite keen on them - we let them up into our back garden at the weekend and they were all destroying the pear tree (it's grafted onto dwarf stock so is quite small). I picked all the pears off but would I be ok to feed them to the sheep?

I'm a bit concerned about them gorging but also don't want to waste the pears. What would be a good number to put out for them? I would crush them slightly as one of them is a bit dense and tries to eat them whole. They are slowly clearing up our back garden for us - they've eaten all the old broccoli plants and lettuce that went to seed, they've had a few pears and I've been giving them the cuttings from the willow and raspberry, which they've loved.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Pears...yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:27:20 pm »
I feed my ewes a bucket of windfall apples everyday until they run out. Eventually they get bored and start leaving them. The pears are in the rams paddock they just help themselves along with their own windfall apples from their tree. Never had any complaints yet  ;D
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:09:14 pm »
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:12:24 pm by Badger Nadgers »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 05:01:10 pm »
Be careful with raspberry leaf because if they're in lamb it can cause abortion.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS