Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electrical safety  (Read 2244 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
Electrical safety
« on: October 19, 2014, 07:39:31 pm »
I was recently called to help an elderly friend whose interweb wasn't working. (It turned out to be a switch off router, pause, and now switch on router problem.) But while rumaging 'round the back of her telly I was really alarmed. She had 8 items running from an extension cord - phone, router, CD player, telly, DVD player, sat box, lamp and electric fire. This had all been done for her by a friend from church. All the excess length of cables were tidied up into coils with elastic bands.

I have looked at the RoSPA website and it doesn't really deal with the modern realities of out digital media world. It just says don't overload sockets.

Am I being v overcautious? I def remember in O grade physics being told never to run electricity thru a coiled cable.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Electrical safety
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:45:16 pm »
relatively short cables aren't a big issue, long extension leads on a drum are!!!

most of the stuff you describe uses very little power so the overall load on the socket shouldn't be too bad and assuming its correctly fused there is little risk...

personally we run a number of 4 gang extension leads in our house that allow us to meet the needs of modern gadgets in a house who's wiring plan is ancient (modern cables etc but serious lack of sockets)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 07:52:39 pm »
Tks Bloomer

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:57:33 pm »
there are multi-plug sockets available which have a trip switch/fuse on them.

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »
I would agree with Bloomer but would have concerns about the electric fire running off it. That should probably be fused at 13amp. If the fuse for the extension is 13 amp then the other appliances would easily overload as they should be on a smaller ampage fuse.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:02:47 pm »
oops my bad i missed the fire

all the electrical entertainment stuff is fine the fire should probably have its own socket.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 09:19:27 pm »
sounds like you been in my mothers house...

she used to work for Granada, in the olden days when you rented telly's ... and they had the whole shop front off one socket ...
so she thinks that's normal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS