Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No fly strike - why?  (Read 2031 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
No fly strike - why?
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:14:43 pm »
Ok, so don't lynch me, but I've had four Jacobs since May, no preventative, and not a hint of fly strike all summer. Why is this? Beginners luck? Is it because they're on pasture that hasn't had sheep before?

They're shearlings, sheared in early June. My neighbour had one die of strike (allegedly, I didn't see it).

How can I replicate these conditions next year, or is it just luck!  :fc:

Thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: No fly strike - why?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:21:53 pm »
We live in Aberdeenshire and at the top on a wee hill and generally it's always windy and for 6 years no flystrick but this year the weather has been calmer and we had 3 cases in clean lambs at the same time so It could be lots of reasons from wind, weather, luck, amount of cover/hedging for flies to hover - from what I've learnt this year never rule it out - oh and keep checking  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 11:28:58 pm »
You may just be lucky but some sheep breeds & family lines are definitely more affected than other. Presumably just like us with midges...

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:25:54 am »
I used to keep Jacob and Suffolk sheep and for 3 years on the trot I had fly strike in the Suffolks and never in the Jacobs. I put it down the the fleece, not sure if that is it but I never needed to treat them whereas the Suffolks even had click and still got struck. Could also be your location.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:30:46 am »
Don't start counting your chickens just yet. We had a case on the last day of October last year. When I went to by the Crovect the agri merchants told me they had sold 3 lots of the stuff that week.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 10:16:10 am »
Given the choice flies tend to choose only the very best quality wool!  Even so, a couple of our Badger Face were struck in the very calm, humid weather in July this year, despite having been recently shorn.  The rule with sheep is NEVER take anything for granted.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 09:04:10 pm »
Thanks, I'll be keeping a close eye on them until we've had a few hard frosts that's for sure. Which might be Christmas at this rate!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:10:41 am »
I had maggots in my Jacob's feet this year. Not nice!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 10:06:59 pm »
Susceptibility to flystrike is highly heritable - some sheep just won't get it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS