Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pics of our goose setup  (Read 1668 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Pics of our goose setup
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:47:27 am »
Let me say this first - this may not be the perfect way to keep geese, but it's worked for us so far, and since I snapped some pics on my rounds this morning I thought I'd share them here. Hopefully it will be useful to somebody!

We keep our geese in an open-floored ark type thing:

The idea is that we can drag it onto fresh grass every day or two, and hence don't need to do any mucking out! (I didn't say it was perfect - TBH it's just lazy!!  :innocent: ). I do put straw inside for bedding when the weather gets cold, but I'm not sure they really prefer it to the grass, and having seen wild geese roosting outside during the winter, I'm not sure they need it either!

The way we've been working things is to keep a breeding trio of adult geese, then hatch one incubator-full of goslings in the spring, who are brought on in a separate pen and put in with the adults once big enough. They'll then be going into the freezer any time now (Michaelmas to Christmas being the traditional time!), leaving us with just the core trio of Gandalf and his girls over the winter.

Most of the year, they're out in one of the fields, but occasionally we bring them into our orchard bit to save us from mowing the grass (did I say we were lazy?  ;D ). This means we have to keep them behind sheep hurdles, to save them from gnawing at the trees, so that's what the board is for across the front. It's the same width as a hurdle, so it enables us to construct a pen for them really easily around the apple trees. When they're in the pen, they have a child's paddling pool filled with fresh water daily.

The only problem with this setup so far is that they've taken to chewing the sheets of ply, so they're not going to last forever. However, they've done two years so far, and will be easily replaced when the time comes.

The ark was made using a frame of 3"x3" tanalised fenceposts. To attach the angled sides, I cut some posts in half to make right-angled triangles and screwed them to the base to provide the right angle (though you can buy triangular wood from fencing places, which would be easier). The carry-handles at each end were built into the frame. The sheets of ply were then pre-painted and screwed on top - simple! Note that none of the ply actually touches the ground - it would rot far too quickly.

I had to replace the door this year, as the previous one didn't last, due to being in contact with the ground when open. The new one rests on a piece of 2"x2", to keep it a bit drier.

If I had to build another one, I'd put wheels on it somehow, probably by extending the base-rails out and attaching an axle, so it could be rolled about like a wheelbarrow.

However, it is what it is, and I hope this is helpful to some folks!  :thumbsup:

Womble.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:50:41 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Pics of our goose setup
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:54:29 am »
It looks a good mobile set up. It does its job, keeps them dry if they want and most of all they seem happy with it and look like they are thriving  :thumbsup:

One day( when we eventually find somewhere  ::) ) I'd love a few geese. Your setup shows how easily it can be done.

Victorian Farmer

Re: Pics of our goose setup
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 06:17:15 pm »
Haws things womble keeping good been up and dawn for me dads still unwell going to the Natshnal in november new start in the spring .Been doin lots of stuff sheds stables stoves gates etc been good .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS