Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: selling duck plucked not gutted?  (Read 1793 times)

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
selling duck plucked not gutted?
« on: October 18, 2014, 06:08:00 am »
Does anyone sell duck killed, plucked but not gutted and how much for? I got a few ducks to go but I'm not the tidyist at gutting! Thanks

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: selling duck plucked not gutted?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 07:19:08 am »
What problems do you have with gutting? Maybe we can talk you through it :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:27:28 am »
Have you tried just giving them water (no food) for a while before killing?  It makes SUCH a difference.

I'm surprised you can get any buyers for birds still with guts in though. Anybody who's ever been interested in ours wants them to look as much like supermarket offerings as possible!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 09:17:43 pm »
Well I haven't done ducks yet Tbh just chickens and a turkey. I'm not generally neat and tidy so dnt think they will look the most presentable! Guess I might have to try n find out. I dnt know if I can get a buyer yet thts another reason for asking. Thanks guys.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 09:48:45 pm »
I'm not sure you'd be able to sell them legally anyway, could you? Have you got the required hygiene certificates? I find the gutting easier than the neat plucking - the hardest thing with ducks is definitely getting all the feathers out - so I think you'd be better off learning to gut than trying to find buyers for ungutted ducks. The biggest problem is that the body cavity is smaller than poultry (or at least in the breeds I keep which are all big) so it's harder to get your hand in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS