Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Neighbour's dog killed 4 hens - should I report it, who to?  (Read 12841 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Neighbour's dog killed 4 hens - should I report it, who to?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:58 am »
Sorry, I know this isn't quite a response to the original topic, but Devonlady: I'd like to hear more about your whippets! Is that typically whippet behaviour? I need a dog to free range with my chickens - unfortunately my friend's Jack Russell terrier doesn't quite qualify for the job!  ::) :D

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 01:18:49 pm »
Ahh, our 2 cocker spaniels free range with our 'free range' chooks & ducks.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 02:33:16 pm »
My spaniels and labrador all free-ranged with our hens (after some training :innocent: ).  The old girl even lets them steal from her bowl whilst she is eating.

I caught our neighbour's  builder's Jack Russell chasing and killing the hens in the garden recently.   Later in the week he knocked at our door.  I answered, expecting a gift of some sort as compensation, and he asked if we had any eggs as there were none in the honesty box ::) .  What a moron.

And our deaf cat was killed on the drive by a dog :'( :'( .  Sadly, it's a hazard if your property is open.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 04:21:44 pm »
My neighbours dog killed some if my bantams... She sweetly came round and insisted on paying for them. Would obviously rather have the bants then the money but I appreciated her honesty and the gesture

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 04:25:00 pm »
Sorry, I know this isn't quite a response to the original topic, but Devonlady: I'd like to hear more about your whippets! Is that typically whippet behaviour? I need a dog to free range with my chickens - unfortunately my friend's Jack Russell terrier doesn't quite qualify for the job!  ::) :D

I have whippets, pugs, a greyhound, an Ibizan, a border terrier and a yorkie and can't say whether it is breed trait in any of them. I can only think that the sheep, poultry and pigs are regarded as part of the pack. I have a feeling that if a strange dog were to be brought in it may upset the balance.
If I were to choose a dog for guarding poultry, I think I may go for a traditional guarding breed. Or a Border Collie could easily be taught to respect poultry.
Sorry, I'm not much help but maybe if you got a whippet pup it would be fine. You would need to be VERY firm though in the first instance.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 05:06:23 pm »
Sorry folks, as someone who doesn't keep dogs I tend to disagree with the advice you should keep your hens locked up because you have free rangeing dogs in the neighbourhood.... Dogs are supposed to be kept under control and if they are not you should report it, especially if they have caused you damage! I thought that's what laws are there for? :rant: :&>

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 05:30:12 pm »
Accidents happen. One of my neighbours terriers got out of its run and ran through three gardens and under my garden gate and managed to get in to my locked hen run. His owner was in hot pursuit, we found out when we heard the noise, I do not know who was shrieking the loudest the hens or the dogs owner. He had managed to kill three hens in a very short space of time. Its just one of those things.
  I make a point of never falling out with neighbours however annoying they are. We have had grass clipping fed to ponies, geese pooing on the grass, plants chopped back to the ground on our side of the fence and the latest one is the neighbour is trying to claim for loss of food in a freezer when the contractors when through the mains electric. I smile sweetly and thank God( if there is one) that its all I have to worry about.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 05:58:18 pm »
whilst i can't disagree with your point northfifeduckling i'm not prepared to risk it. knowing that someone broke  a law  would be little comfort if my hens or sheep were maimed or killed. also, a major factor in our gorgeous country lifestyle is that we get on well with those who live around us. if this were not so it would seriously taint this lifestyle we lead and I would simply have to move. I have worked far too many years to afford what we have to have it spoilt by feuds with neighbours. and issuing threats re dog wardens and laws does not fit at all with what I love about our life- so I will continue to keep my stock safe and always plan for worst case scenario.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 06:07:15 pm »
Circumstances always differ....I had the pleasure of neighbour's kid's dogs around here and I make sure they don't like seeing me (the dogs that is). I also prefer to speak to the neigbours of course. But if all else fails it might be better if someone else talks to difficult neighbours and helps deal with the outfall.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 07:58:26 pm »
Sorry folks, as someone who doesn't keep dogs I tend to disagree with the advice you should keep your hens locked up because you have free rangeing dogs in the neighbourhood.... Dogs are supposed to be kept under control and if they are not you should report it, especially if they have caused you damage! I thought that's what laws are there for? :rant: :&>

I'm with you tbh and I have a dog. If my poultry are free ranging on my land then I expect them to not be killed by someone's pet. If they are got by a wild predator then that's different. Too many people think of poultry as purely disposable whereas in reality they could have years of breeding behind them, same as any other livestock. My most valuable ones in that respect are penned although not fox proof.
I wouldn't go to the dog warden the first time but I would the second. tbh around here if someone's dog was wandering around on land not belonging to them, I expect the cows would get to it first-or the farmer.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 08:35:14 pm »
I agree, dogs have to be kept under control - and that needs to be done by their owners, not by me!

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 08:40:14 pm »
If my neighbour had a dog I would make sure my gate was shut to protect my animals. You never know what could happen! I don't think it's worth taking the risk. I wouldn't expect my poultry to be killed on my land by someone's dog but 'accidents' do happen, dogs do escape...as has happened here & with other people.
As poultry owners it's our responsibility to protect them in what ever way possible from what ever the predator 'may be'
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:42:20 pm by NicandChic »

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 08:57:26 pm »
I have many dogs (including bird dogs) and my neighbours have hens.  If their hens come onto my land and my dogs get them I am very sorry and apologise but would prefer if they could stop them coming under the fence.  If my dogs got out and went next door I would be devastated and really really sorry, make sure it never happened again and obviously recompense them. Its all down to fences imo.  :thumbsup:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 09:01:57 pm »
iv had many pullets killed by a particular village cat but if the same happened with a wandering dog, id be devastated.
id also avoid falling out with neighbours if possible as its awful to live with. take his money and apology and hope it doesn't happen again  :fc: :fc:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 09:18:30 pm »
Well my dogs, a collie, collie cross and a Jack Russell don't chase my free range chickens, or the cats for that matter because they have been taught not to. I used to be bothered with dogs trying to chase the ponies so I put sheep fencing all the way around our place with electric as the top strand. If this was a one off case then I would accept the money to replace the chickens but would also want assurance that it would not happen again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS