Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone have Polled Dorset sheep?  (Read 4456 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Anyone have Polled Dorset sheep?
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:43:55 pm »
Due to the loss of my Romney ram this year i have borrowed a Hampshire Down ram from local farmer for tupping until i sort out a ram for next year.  He also has a polled dorset ram lamb from this year who avoided the rubber band by some chance!!  Lovely little ram lamb, very friendly and already a tad interested in the girls!  Considering buying him to run with my flock of around 12 next year.  I have an assortment of mule x, romneys and welsh x ewes.  Anyone have any pros or cons for polled dorsets?  I really like the look of them, just concerned about lamb vigour, growth rate, dead weight  etc.  ???

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
Re: Anyone have Polled Dorset sheep?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:29:16 pm »
My friend has polled dorsets her only real complaint with them is they usually want a bit of a hand with lambing, they tend to wait till she does a check n then go  give us a hand with this mum! It's usually a leg back but hers are a bit fat so tht prob doesn't help! 

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:56:10 pm »
I have a mix of crossbred ewes, only half a doz but used a poll Dorset ram last year and this year. Have had legs back but did with a Southdown Ram as well despots the lambs being smaller. Ewes Dorset x and what look like Suffolk x. Lambs finished at 40-45kg and killed out at 18-18 1/2kgs good carcasses not too much fat. Finished off grass at 5 1/2 months. If that's any help.
 :innocent:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »
thanks, thats just the info i wanted!  My lambs by a romney ram finished at around about those weights and timing so should be similar with the polled dorset.  He is a really nice ram lamb, very well put together.   Healthy equipment hanging between his legs and already at 6 months looking to go- a-tupping! Most importantly he has a terrific nature and i like the look of him! Might just have to steer away from another Romney and get this wee dorset!

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:27:55 am »
I have kept Polled Dorsets for a couple of years now and only had one lambing issue with a leg back but that was it. The lambs do really well on just grass so no complaints from me.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:35:52 pm »
Thankyou, going to speak to the owner of the ram lamb today  :fc:

EcoGypsy

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Cambs
    • EcoHolidays in Poland
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:03:50 pm »
We have some Polled Dorsets, no issues and lambs are growing well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS