Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: automatic hen doors  (Read 8222 times)

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
Re: automatic hen doors
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 01:04:02 pm »
I love the idea and really thought about buying one, but after a while I can't see the point.

We check them in the morning and check them at night anyway.  If I had automatic door I would still worry and go and check them anyway.  If I'm coming home late I throw some corn in there and persuade them to go in early.

The only ones I ever lost to a fox was at half past six in the evening in the summer so an auto door wouldn't have helped anyway.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 02:01:40 pm »
I've heard lots of good reports about VSB, except one that was faulty at purchase and was replaced immediately. The batteries seem to last well but I've never risked buying one, or ever been able to afford one. Afraid I would be checking it every day so having one would be pointless.

Our fox attacks were broad daylight as well.

Petronus

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 07:53:44 pm »
 :chook:
I have been using the ChucksAway unit with no problem for a couple of years.
I have exchanged the motor batteries for larger Lithium Ion Vaping batteries so I don't have to replace the batteries or recharge them for 3 to 4 months at a time at least.
I did have a problem with the digital display on the unit fading out. Even with new batteries. It is possible to repair this by cleaning the conductive rubber switch pads and LCD's contact pads. Electronic , mobile phone or watch mending skill is required to do it.
I am happy to do this as a service to others experiencing this problem.
I am currently trying to create my own more robust and simple Dawn to Dusk door operating system.
I would prefer not to have to seasonally change the open and closing times on the Chuksaway unit.
The plan is for the level of ambient light to trigger the door operation.
If I have some success I will post details on this site.
Wish me luck!

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 01:29:10 pm »
I have two Dawn till Dusk doors and this week got given two more coops so have ordered another two. Never had a problem with them and saves feeling like you have to get up at the crack of dawn easy in the winter harder in the summer) to let the girls out.

Everything can go wrong but so far (touch wood) it has been ok
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS