Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: automatic hen doors  (Read 8230 times)

Bekka

• Joined Jan 2014
automatic hen doors
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:36:27 pm »
With the nights rapidly closing in, I am becoming more aware about locking my free range hens in at night and would like to get an automatic door as I am not always going to be home before dark.

What can you recommend? I have come across 'Chicken Guard' - any good?

Northernhippy

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Glastonbury
  • Northern Hippy
Re: automatic hen doors
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 08:33:47 pm »
Hi, I tried a couple of units called Dawn till Dusk or something similar. Didn't get on very well with them. The first two malfunctioned very quickly and had to be returned and replaced. One of the replacements also malfunctioned so I got my money back. The other one ceased to function after a hard frost froze the hen house door shut so I gave up. When they worked they were great but given their unreliability I would also use electric poultry netting for a bit of extra security. :eyelashes:

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:04:42 pm »
Hi
I use an automatic pop hole door made by a company called Chuxaway - I found them on Google and since installing it I've honestly never looked back!  ;)  It uses a battery operated timer, is simple to set up and has always been completely reliable;   I hope that this helps. :)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:29:16 pm »
Also have a chuxaway on our big house. Great unit, great company to deal with. I got their sliding metal door as well.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 07:30:28 am »
I have had a VSB one for 2 years.

Still on the first set of batterys and it has never missed a beat.
Worth every penny.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:17:28 am »
Ditto - absolutely fantastic. We have had our for 4 years now and changed the batteries once or twice. Really worth having. We got ours of Wells Poultry but I think they have gone out of business now
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 09:34:01 am »
Mine was in a secondhand hen house when we bought it but originally the lot came from Flyte So Fancy. I wouldn't be without it now either.  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 05:54:59 pm »
We have the VSB door closers - absolutely BRILLIANT. We got ours from Wells Poultry - didn't know they were out of business tho'  :-[

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 03:49:17 pm »
They aren't, just called something else I think.

Funnily enough the batteries went on my controller over night so my birds were all shut in until I got there at 10. Didn't seem to bother them much but they were a bit hungry!

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 03:55:30 pm »
I have a chicken guard.

Which ever you go for it is recommended, great not having to open or close after the chucks.

Mountainwoman

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:24:29 pm »
I've had a vsb for years. Fantastic. Got it from wells poultry too. They have a troubleshooter on their website and over the years I've had a few small problems and always managed to fix them myself using the guidance on the website. You can also get spares from them if a part wears out so you don't have to replace the whole thing. Highly recommended.

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 07:47:32 am »
hada chuxaway original as not much clearance above door and it has separate motor so only need 2 inches
now have their current model... even simpler to fit and would not be without it

also seems very reasonable in price in comparision

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 08:21:43 pm »
I suppose the key is not to rely on them in terms of hens being shut in / out. But they are good.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 08:25:20 pm »
Wish my ducks would go to bed so I could use one on them!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 08:23:10 pm »
Hi,

I have tried 2 types of chicken doors, the first was a chicken guard door off ebay. But im now using a chucks away door. Iv had it for a few years now and I swear buy it. I have ex batts so they had never been outside, so never gone in to roost. It took them no longer than a week yo get the hang of it.  They come and go as they please now. The initial outlay for one can be a bit pricey,  but its the best thing I ever bought. Im happy that for any reason I forget or cant get home before its dark they wil be safe from a visit form Mr Fox. I just wish my turkeys would learn from them.

Regards Emily

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS