Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prices for Ryelands  (Read 2525 times)

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Prices for Ryelands
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:45:56 pm »
Anyone have an idea of ballpark figures for 2 or 3 year old Ryelands, registered and unregistered, ewes and tups ?
Much appreciated.
Cheers.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
Re: Prices for Ryelands
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 01:03:58 am »
How long is a piece of string? (Sorry!)

A lot depends on the pedigree (and whites and coloureds will go for different prices). Easiest is to check out preloved to get a ball park figure. At the bottom end (at least round here in West Wales if you take them to market nobody will care what breed they are and they will go for £40 or so - so anything up from there is possible. We have a few whites we are trying to sell and are dropping the price to get some interest. My guess would be that a (registered) shearling might be available for £150 from an unknown breeder (even if it comes from a good bloodline) whereas a top breeder might manage twice that figure. Prices will drop £10-15 per year as the ewe gets older. We almost managed to sell 5 ewes (ranging from 2-8 years old) for an average of £90 but the buyer dropped out at the last moment (grrrr!). Coloired yearlings were going at the Llandovery sale last month for 100-150 guineas (and they were nothing special. A good coloured yearling ewe could easily be twice that.

At the end of the day process can be wildly variable. At Llandovery for example, registrable (i.e. not yet registered) ram lambs were going for 100 guineas or more (and could be completely impotent) whereas towards the end of the Ryeland group we managed to get a 3 year old proven ram with full pedigree paperwork and competition wins in major shows for 100 guineas - nobody else bid! I was more than happy with that

Unregistered will be less. Having said that, Ryelands are seriously competitive (in breeding terms) round here, so in your area they could be very different.

Does that help or add to the confusion?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:06:25 am »
Does the Society have upset prices?  (Prices below which bids at a Society auction won't be accepted.)  I charge the upset price for my Southdowns when sold off the farm - could probably get much more but then the buyer doesn't feel exploited and it saves me taking them to the auction.  I only sell stock suitable for breeding and charge registering them at cost - some folks don't care if it's registered, though.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 11:24:23 pm »
The upset price for Ryelands at the two breed sales this year was 100 guineas

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 03:11:06 pm »
Thanks for all your help. I am struggling to sell 3 ewes and 3 tups (2 registered). I didn't want to take them down to Inverurie because of the distance. I have decided on one last try using the Facebook group Livestock for sale Scotland, and failing that Dingwall Mart's rare breed sale on 8th November.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:16:25 pm »
Most animals I see advertised are over valued. I value (except tup) all head on current meat prices.
Sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS