Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey Space  (Read 1872 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Turkey Space
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:51:31 pm »
Can anyone advise how much space housing wise 4 Turkeys will need ?  Also will 17 week old Growers be ok in with a 13 year old  Stag and a Pair of Chinese geese ?
Charlie has lived with our pair of Chinese geese His choice for 10 years  in a 6x6 shed with free range during the day. Charlie always perches every night and the Geese sleep below.
Wondering if the 3 Growers could move in there or would it be best to house the 3 in another 6x6 shed that we have  :-\
Graham

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Turkey Space
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:20:33 pm »
Do they get along together during the daytime? If so then I'm sure they'll be happy to perch together. If they don't know each other then I would let them free range together where the littler ones have space to get away and they will soon shake down together :fc:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:29:06 pm »
Ok thanks, they have not met yet. Tomorrow will be the first day they are out together. Will be much easier if they will live together as that shed has a half width shelf in it so the  Turkey food is on the shelf where nothing else can eat it
Graham

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 11:59:18 pm »
Probably be OK - I've got six turkeys in a 6x8ft shed and they've loads of room when they're eventually persuaded inside.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 12:07:56 am »
I have 4 growers in a 6ft x 4ft shed, with meshed windows. they have a raised platform so they can see out and its big enough for them to stay inside all day if the weather is bad. plenty of room.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:29:54 pm »
These 3 are now living with Charlie 24/7. Nice days they get out but they all go in at night themselves :thumbsup:
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS