Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solid Fuel Rayburn?  (Read 32989 times)

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Solid Fuel Rayburn?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 06:43:22 am »
Those rain cowls look the same as the one I had on my last house,  the top was aluminium and the screws holding it on were steel,  not a good idea,  the top and screws corroded each other and the top blew off.  I replaced it with a stainless steel wok ( minus handle ).

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 07:51:04 am »
 :thumbsup:

( minus handle ).

Awww, spoilsport!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Glenp

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 10:12:13 am »
I had the same problem with a similar looking rain cowl on our Woodfired Esse, a stainless steel H pot sorted it, its design means that it is impossible to suffer from down draughts whichever direction the wind is coming from. Also I believe the Esse is vastly superior to a Rayburn as a Woodburning stove, the Rayburn is designed for coal and is compromised as a woodburner by such. Depends if you need the option of burning both?

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 01:14:04 pm »
Ive got an esse w23 which is, in my opinion, is not fit foe purpose. Ive had a rayburn 355 which is a far superior stove. I wish Id stuck to my guns when I wanted the rayburn but was convinced by the saleswoman to buy the esse. You live and learn...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 01:22:15 pm »
Glenp, that's interesting - do you think your H-pot would work for an updraft, as that's what I believe we have, with the wind hitting the roof and being deflected upwards towards the chimney?  (we have no problems at all with the standard chimney - they only started when I fitted the rain cowl).

I shan't get into the pros and cons of various stoves as I don't know enough about the different types. Our original Esse was very old, so it would be like comparing a beat up 1960s car with, er, a new 1980s car  :innocent: .

The only thing I can see that compromises the Rayburn as a woodburner is that the combustion air is delivered to the underneath of the grate, not on top, which wood prefers.  Is that the arrangement in your stove then, and if so, how is it with coal?

Overall I'm quite happy with a system optimised for coal, as we simply don't have the time to split that much wood!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

clunfarm

• Joined Nov 2014
  • South West Shropshire
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 03:42:51 pm »
I had the same problem with a similar looking rain cowl on our Woodfired Esse, a stainless steel H pot sorted it, its design means that it is impossible to suffer from down draughts whichever direction the wind is coming from.
Would echo the endorsement of the H-cowl. We had awful problems with our old coal fired AGA and traditional rain cowl. Now with the new H-cowl we have just about eliminated problems with downdrafts blowing smoke into the kitchen (and the AGA is easier to light as a result).
We also fitted an H-cowl onto the top of the flue from the bread oven that's built into the inglenook the AGA sits in. Yet to to try firing that up with wood for bread or pizza - but suspect we may end up with a kitchen full of smoke - but that won't be the fault of the H-cowl!

hackneyCats

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 07:26:20 pm »
I have just inherited a solid fuel Rayburn Royal & found Womble's review to be the the most informative advice I could find (including the manufacturers manuals). I would love to hear updates & find out how his cat is getting on...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS