Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A big hello  (Read 6668 times)

Lewisian lass

• Joined Oct 2014
A big hello
« on: October 16, 2014, 03:24:37 pm »
Hello peeps. Exciting times ahead. Just moved the beautiful Isle of Lewi and we are very much all looking forward to being part of the crofting community. Don't want to say too much right now on case something happen and we tempt fate but soon we eill be asking lots of questions.  Xxx :fc:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: A big hello
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:36:34 pm »
Exciting indeed! Good luck from Devon :wave:

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:28:16 pm »
Where did you move the isle of Lewis to ? A warmer  and less  windy part of the coast i hope ! ????????????

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »
Welcome from Caithness and  :fc:  all goes well for you.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 12:00:29 am »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. Exciting times ahead for you.  :excited:

Lewisian lass

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:37 am »
Thankyou for your warm welcome.  Our missives on the house we are selling are in the middle of being concluded.  The house n croft we have bought are also awaiting conclusion.  We have purchased a 2 hectare croft in the Tolsta area. So we are on the middle of preparing for the 5yr plan for assigning the croft.  All exciting.  I love Lewis. We used to live on skye and for me Lewis has all the best bits of skye and more like mire affordable property and better beaches.  I come from the eastern coast of sutherland and lewis reminds me if how that used to be.  I love Sunday's.  It is proper downtime.  The plan is to split the croft up into half acre fields. Have goats pigs for fattening breeding dexter cattle and a highland pony. The fields are capable of taking hay or silage from them in the summer.  We are also looking at two polycrub polytunnels as well as some semi dwarf fruiting trees and fruiting bushes.  I was... I suppose still am tge chair for aden community allotments.  So we have some experience of growing veggies fruit and keeping hens. The croft needs a few improvement s done to it.  Including fencing and provision of shelters for livestock. So we will be very busy. 

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:40:08 am »
 :wave:

you made it then  ;D

hope to see you in the not too distance future!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lewisian lass

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 01:12:11 pm »
:wave:

you made it then  ;D

hope to see you in the not too distance future!

I did manage to get registered.  Hello mrs. Its a very small world. Xxx

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 01:26:03 pm »
Welcome.
Amongst other things it is great to hear someone moving onto the island appreciating a Lewis sunday instead of complaining about the lack of sunday papers! 
Hope it all goes smoothly.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 02:23:49 pm »
Good luck with the project!

If you aren't committed to Dexters, might you consider the Shetland cow instead? A traditional Scottish breed and still very rare. There's a new herd just been established on Lewis and I think there may be at least one other.

Attached is a photo of ours. Oor wullie also has Shetlands. happy to answer any questions you may have about them.
 :hugcow: :hugcow: :hugcow:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 05:44:30 pm »
I am a total beginner but am happy to add another Shetland cow picture to tempt you.
I really must get a cute picture of our calf for things like this.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 06:09:55 pm »
Hi from Moray and another Shetland owner.

Great cattle for a crofter/smallholder. Wonderful beef, can be good hand milkers, great at munching and thriving on poor quality grazing.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Sue

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 08:05:50 pm »
Hello & Welcome :wave:

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 08:32:38 pm »
Welcome from Skye, we are just starting out like you and by the sound of it our plans are almost identical. I'm sure we will speak again!

Lewisian lass

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 07:20:34 pm »
Thanks hamish crofter.  I will defo bare that on mind.  Xxc

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS