Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small sheep farm - with L plates!  (Read 3163 times)

semillion

• Joined Oct 2014
Small sheep farm - with L plates!
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:25:37 pm »
Hi I've just joined accidental smallholder.  We have a small farm at Kielder with a flock of whitefaced woodland sheep. They are a rare-ish breed of large hill sheep, well suited to the weather we have here. It's our third year with the sheep and we've discovered the more we learn the less we know. I also spin weave and knit, the Woodie fleece is a medium fine fleece good for handspinning.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Small sheep farm - with L plates!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:02:37 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :raining: Carnoustie  :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:02:27 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum from a very wet Carmarthenshire  :wave:
You will find lots of like minded people on here and some of us spin/weave/knit/crochet too  :spin:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:18:15 pm »
i have L plates as well...

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:35:10 pm »
Hello :wave: We have Jacobs, also good fleeces for spinners.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:33 pm »
Welcome from Caithness. Good way of putting it - the more you learn the less you know !  Familiar feeling  :roflanim:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 11:56:52 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. I'm a  :spin::knit: and weaver as well and I also do needle felting.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:47:28 am »
Hi there nearly neighbour!  We're on the Cumbria/Northumberland border, just north of Hadrian's Wall.  We're a commercial but very traditional and low input beef and sheep farm.  I spin :spin: knit :knit: and looks like I am about to start weaving too. 

Our commercial sheep (which are Texelish with their roots in North of England Mules) we call 'Soft Fell', and that's a really nice fibre to spin.  I did too good a job of publicising that this year and now I have none left for myself!  lol. 

Never mind, I also have my own wee 'fleece flock' of interesting sheep with interesting fleeces - Shetlands and assorted Shetland crosses, a couple of Manxes, a couple of Castlemilk Moorits, a couple of Black Wensleydales.  They give me a lot of pleasure :D :hugsheep:

I've been spinning Whitefaced Woodland recently, from batts and tops.  I like it :).  We did a workshop here in August with Deb Robson (co-author of the Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook), and studied nearly all the northern black-faced hill breeds, amongst others.  It's given me an appreciation of 'fibres with character' ;)

We have a fibre group here in Gilsland on the second Friday of every month, 1-5pm, if you felt like coming over.  It's very informal and relaxed.  There's also Travelling Spinners, who move around venues in Northumberland and over its edges.  They meet on the first Saturday of the month, the November meeting is in Ebchester.  You may also know the folks who spin in Tarsett?  Three of them came to the Deb Robson workshop.

Welcome to TAS :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS