Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: re-homing ex-battery ducks  (Read 11556 times)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: re-homing ex-battery ducks
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 06:24:08 pm »
I think something must be taking eggs from mine - none for 3 months, they were laying fine before that. Even kept tehm in till 12 today - not a sausage!  :gloomy:

That may be to do with the daylight starting to decrease (end of June) sometimes birds will keep laying right through the winter on natural daylight but decreasing day length will often put them off the lay, either partially or completely.

Its easier to see in a commercial laying environment, any decrease in the length of the light period (which should never happen during lay) will show a large drop in the number of eggs produced.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 10:09:16 pm »
Yes, I know all that stuff about light or lack of it, have had ducks and hens for 20 years, but it never affected my previous ducks - they went off lay for a month at the end of September, then came back on lay end October, right through to February,went off lay for a month then back on again till September again  - regular as clockwork regardless of light or weather.  This lot haven't laid eggs for 3 months!  :innocent:

My next door neighbour is pretty miffed at not getting his regular supply of free range duck eggs  :roflanim:  and if they don't get a shift on they'll be on a few Christmas dinner tables !  :innocent:  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 12:14:39 pm »
I'm only using natural light, we're not set up for artificial lighting.  Backinwellies and Dogandjo, your ducks sound super.  Have you got any for sale?  Where did you get yours from? I get the impression that not all KCs are the same.
Never ever give up.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 12:31:01 pm »
Hi

Sorry none for sale (am about to get 4/5 more from a friend).  I just bought these from Llandeilo Poultry market as ducklings (were from a regular seller though so assume they are proper KC's. ).   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 02:56:47 pm »
I'm only using natural light, we're not set up for artificial lighting.  Backinwellies and Dogandjo, your ducks sound super.  Have you got any for sale?  Where did you get yours from? I get the impression that not all KCs are the same.
Sorry, mine are pets - well they would be if they didn't run off every time I come near them!   :innocent:  I blame CAmeron for that - he chased them all over the place trying to catch them for me when i bought them from him as youngsters!   :innocent:  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS