Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: re-homing ex-battery ducks  (Read 11559 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
re-homing ex-battery ducks
« on: October 14, 2014, 04:00:24 pm »
Hi, :wave:

Does anyone know anything about re-homing ducks who are past their commercial best? 

I re-homed some ex-battery chickens some time ago and, whilst I loved the re-homing aspect I found chicken's scratch and peck nature too destructive of the garden.  We already have ducks and have loads of room for more and as ducks can do no wrong ...

Any thoughts?
Never ever give up.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: re-homing ex-battery ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 09:33:06 pm »
Are there such things?   ::) I didn't know there were commercial duck egg factories - I'd have rehomed some ducks if I'd known before..
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 06:29:43 am »
I've always found ducks more trouble than chickens in that they dibble holes everywhere. But geese, apart from frightening the grandchildren :o :o are the dearest things. I suspect that commercial laying ducks meet their end in the Chinese take-away :(

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 08:09:40 am »
But geese, apart from frightening the grandchildren :o :o are the dearest things.

Hang on a sec, ours have destroyed most of their house, the electrics on my trailer, half a dozen apple saplings and the chassis of a VW Polo! At least it's not the breeding season, so I can go and let them out without fear of being bitten on the bum. Sweet dear little things?  Not ours!!  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:21:44 am »
Ah well, apart from their inquisitve natures :innocent: they are dears ;D ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:45:13 am »

I too thought ducks wouldn't thrive in batteries so are always reared as outdoor flocks, with access to nest boxes.  I've not heard of a recue system, but then I probably wouldn't.  Interesting though  :&> :&>

For me, ducks produce far too many horrible voluminous green droppings all over the grass and in their houses - give me hens, although I wouldn't let them in the garden, except the veggie patch, where they're great at scratching up pests and clearing annual weeds.  Ducks are even worse in a garden, or our Muscovies were - their feet are so big they flatten everything.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:12:17 pm »
wasn't there a big 'rescue' down south a while back, can't remember the details but there were hundreds of ducks going due the farmer's contract being broken or something? of course, some people just released them onto local waterways  ::) and they then needed further rescuing from that.

with my cynics hat on, I can't help but think someone is making money out of rescuing ex-bats and I am not talking the farmer here either but if people are happy with that then I guess its fine.

I don't grow food and currently have a pony on what was my lawn so not too bothered about damage by animals  ;D .

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »
I think there is a bit of confusion going on here,

In the UK, ducks aren't kept in battery cages, they are usually kept inside on open floor systems or free range (very few are free range)

I assume they are laying ducks Liz?

They should adapt pretty quickly to life outside and will still lay plenty eggs for a few years.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 02:41:21 pm »
with my cynics hat on, I can't help but think someone is making money out of rescuing ex-bats and I am not talking the farmer here either but if people are happy with that then I guess its fine.

Thats exactly my train of thought  ;D

I see a lot of 'Rescue' birds being sold (or donations asked for) for anything up to £5 each, I can buy POL hybrid layers from a farmer near me for £7 each!  :innocent:

Years ago when I worked on battery farms if anyone wanted some birds when they were about to be depleted we would ask for £1 and they could take as many as they wanted.

I understand its not about the money and people just want to save a few birds and give them a better life but these birds are worth very little in financial terms so asking £5 each for them is a huge markup for anyone doing the 'rescue'

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 09:55:34 am »
Thanks all for your comments.  I'm sure people make money from ex commercials but they have a lot going for them - really good egg laying blood lines, only just past their eggy best and they're ducks!  Our ducks here are truly free range, have never been foxed and there's a choice of ponds and baths for them to take a dip in if it ever stops raining.  OH wants proven eggy ducks and where better than ex commercials?

The current flock's egg laying is unenthusiastic (rehomed and POL auction for £5 each). Can anyone point me towards a source of some really good egg ducks near West Devon?
Never ever give up.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 11:29:40 am »
what breed are your ducks?   Can't beat  K. Campbell's for egg laying
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 12:00:15 pm »
They were labeled k Cambles and white cambles but the whites must have some call duck in them.  I love them, they are currently preening on the lawn and dabbling in a tiny pot of rain water. 
Never ever give up.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 12:22:00 pm »
The current flock's egg laying is unenthusiastic (rehomed and POL auction for £5 each). Can anyone point me towards a source of some really good egg ducks near West Devon?

Are you using any artificial lighting Liz?

We currently have 10.5 hours natural day length, even commercial layers will need around 16 hours light before they will lay a decent amount of eggs

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 04:12:19 pm »
My 7 (5 KC's and 2 runners) are laying 5 eggs a day ..... day length doesn't affect KC's as much .... they did stop a bit last month to moult.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 04:39:26 pm »
I think something must be taking eggs from mine - none for 3 months, they were laying fine before that. Even kept tehm in till 12 today - not a sausage!  :gloomy:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS