Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you feed your youngsters?  (Read 1601 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
What do you feed your youngsters?
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:15:37 am »
Up to now my 3 male kids have had a little bit of creep feed when I am feeding the girls. I am now at the bottom of the bag and was wondering what everyone else gave theirs. They have turned their noses up at soaked sugar beet.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: What do you feed your youngsters?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:30:21 pm »
Ours get the same as the adults. Nuts, whole oats, flaked maize, Iansons  Golden calf mix. never had a problem and they all love it
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 03:20:07 pm »
My boys get the same feed as the girls - baby calf mix (18% protein), rolled oats and mine do like sugar beet. I have never had much luck with my kids taking lamb creep - they love to be able to pick and mix so to speak, so the flaked peas/maize etc go first.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:37:16 pm »
Mine live in with the adults so eat what the adults do, which is Allen and Page Dairy Goat with soaked sugar beet. And hay of course.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 02:09:01 pm »
We start with a calf creep at about a week old then as get older change onto the adult food - BATA dairy maker 18% nuts.  Mind you the kids will try to eat the adults food right from the start.  They always have hay available.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS