Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Cattle Breeders Association  (Read 3485 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Shetland Cattle Breeders Association
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:02:57 pm »
We didn't manage to the AGM this weekend past, but just heard that SCBA, which is a support group for Shetland cattle breeders on the mainland, has a new Chair and Secretary.

Gaynor Morris has a smallholding in Wales with her partner Ian, and they have eight breeding cows currently. Gaynor is the Welsh rep and is now the new Chair. I've met Gaynor a few times and I think she'll do a great job.

Dianne Yarker is the new Secretary. Dianne is from Leeds way and with OH, Alan, keeps Shetland cattle and pygmy goats. Again, I think she'll do a great job in moving the Association forward.

But that will happen best if Shetland cattle breeders join and support the Association. So if you HAVE Shetland cattle, please do join. It's not expensive.

And with a breed as rare as the Shetland, it's really helpful (for the breed) if the whereabouts of cattle are known, so that blood lines can be protected and genetics improved. The Association has a wealth of knowledge about genetics and can help breeders source appropriate bulls.

SCBA has also organised a couple of trips to the Shetland Islands to visit island breeders. I've been on one and it was great. In fact, I've already petitioned the new Chair and Secretary for another one - won't do to let them get complacent  :innocent:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Shetland Cattle Breeders Association
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:50:09 am »
Joined just last week.

A 'field trip' to Shetland sounds like a great thing.  Hopefully they will organise one again and make sure it is at a time when I am off work!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:47:44 am »
We were there for Cunningsburgh Show (first Wednesday in August, I think), which is the only open show on Shetland (Voe and the other one I can never remember are closed shows) so there were lots of classes for Shetland cattle. And good visits to Shetland breeders plus a visit to Lerwick abattoir  ;D

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 08:34:50 pm »
Rosemary,

You haven't mentioned any awards.

Regards,

David - who was at the AGM

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:35:50 am »
Rosemary,

You haven't mentioned any awards.

Regards,

David - who was at the AGM

Ah yes, I'm very proud to have been awarded the St Clair Pearce Memorial Trophy by SCBA, which is given annually to the member deemed to have done most to promote the breed in that year. I feel very humble because a lot of folk do an awful lot to promote the breed - and folk that know a lot more about our lovely breed than I do  :)

I'm sorry we couldn't make it to the AGM - I am pleading for a more northerly venue for next year  :fc:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:10:38 pm »
 :thumbsup: :trophy: :excited:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 10:21:20 pm »

I'm sorry we couldn't make it to the AGM - I am pleading for a more northerly venue for next year  :fc:
With Shetlands now spread N S E and W  anywhere for AGM is a long way...….... But here,s me selfishly  hoping the new chair (from whom I am buying Shetland No. 3) locates it somewhere not to far from her!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 08:51:20 am »
I think Wales might be the next venue but I'm hoping Scotland might be the year after  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS