Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: charolais bull on a jersey?  (Read 7802 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
charolais bull on a jersey?
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:21:36 pm »
Anyone used a Charolais on a jersey?  Thoughts?  Results?  Thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: charolais bull on a jersey?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:18:03 pm »
Blimey!  Book your vet for the Caesarean first.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:53:24 pm »
Thats exactly what I said to the owner of the bull!  I wouldnt even entertain the idea of using a charolais but he was positive it would be fine.  I declined his offer of hire of his bull!!  Just wanted to check everyone was of the same opinion as me!!  Sticking with my plan of buying a young Angus then selling him on after serving my girls!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:03:48 pm »
Better idea.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:45:53 pm »
If you can root out Sally in't North, she may have a view since she also keeps Jerseys alonside a commercial suckler herd. I know they had an Angus bull when I visited but may have used other breeds as well.

The Jersey does has a big pelvis and if they aren't first calvers....

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:06:08 pm »
I think I'd b more worried about the bulling than the calving.....Charolais bulls are massive and would soon have a jersey down  :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »
I'm back now.

Yes, I've contemplated Charollais on Jersey and, because of the wide pelvis, I wouldn't be worried about the calving for a 3rd or later calf, not sure I'd do it sooner.  And it'd be AI, yes.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 01:33:15 pm »
Poor girl, be like having a rino on her back! We are crossing Dexters but again AI only.
However there is a local lad with a huge herd of Dexters and they are very free range thanks to some rather ancient fencing. They have been known to get in with bulls ranging from lim and charli to a Belgian blue!! Calves have been born successfully thought I have no information on losses to either covering or calfing.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »
hmm, was at his farm this morning sorting out maize cutting, and had a sneaky peak at the bull.  He cant be very old as he i no taller than my jerseys and not massive in body size.  He runs with their herd all year round along with 2 other bulls with seperate herds.  Saw some of this years offspring from a mixture of girls, (god knows what they are, a right old mismatch) and the calves are lovely!   

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 03:26:50 pm »
Used to cross our Jerseys with Charolais .... good cross  and no problems with calving .... was by AI though.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 03:36:48 pm »
Saw some of this years offspring from a mixture of girls, (god knows what they are, a right old mismatch) and the calves are lovely!

Does the mix include pure bred Jerseys, though?  Mixes generally include beef animals to improve the carcase, which gives a bigger, stronger frame.  We used to raise British Blue X British Friesian heifer calves to produce suckler cows.  These were excellent but the "British" part of the name gives the clue as to one of the reasons why they were so good - no extreme double-muscling from the bull and no extremely high milk yields from the cow.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 04:27:23 pm »
no, there were no Jerseys! All typical suckler cows, probly some jersey x british blue in there as some were the beautiful colouring you get from the blues.  Going to investigate further!

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 05:52:54 pm »
On Shetland the cattle keepers often cross their rare breed Shetlands with commercial bulls - it gives offspring that are saleable at the Mart.

I remember hearing that the Shetland cow pelvis is almost as large as the Jersey, though I expect they don't cross until the cow has had at least a couple of Shetland calves to loosen up the ligaments.

See pictures of the commercial bulls running with the Shetland cows here:
http://www.shetlandcattle.org.uk/gallery?album=Commercial

One of the pictures shows a Shetland cow with her Simmental cross calf who is 6 months old and very nearly as big as his dam - that one always makes me smile and the comparison between the sheer bulk of the commercial bulls and the relatively dainty Shetland cows makes me wonder how the girls manage to stand.

Sue

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 06:29:37 pm »
(British) Belgian Blue x Jersey is starting to be popular here in Jersey, whereas up until then it was Angus x Jersey.
Both are giving pretty good carcasses but the Jersey Angus are doing pretty well just being left in fields to mature, I am not sure the same for the Jersey Belgian Blues - I haven't seen any out in fields but I can ask my friend if anyone is curious? I know there was talk of them needing more concentrates. Jersey Angus here aren't new but I'm not sure if the first Jersey Belgian Blues have reached slaughter yet.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 08:30:11 pm »
thankyou, Yes the british blue are very popular here crossed with a jersey.  I have 2 big jersey breeders local to me and they both use BB on for non herd replacements.  They are beautiful animals.  My AAxJ is a cracking little calf, just weaned him and his mate today and got someone coming to look at them in a few weeks to possibly purchase.  They were all AI'd to a AA this year but only 1 out of 3 has taken after 3 attempts.  Finding an AA young bull for next year is proving a headache which i why my neighbour with a small Charolais offered his services.  Still not convinced though!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS