Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Pig Pledge  (Read 2190 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
The Pig Pledge
« on: October 13, 2014, 02:01:36 pm »
Worth a look if you haven't already seen it.  http://pigpledge.org/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: The Pig Pledge
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 02:18:24 pm »
Hmm, needs to go hand-in-hand with educating the public as to why they should pay more for their food and not waste it when they have. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 02:54:13 pm »
More than slightly appalled at how little the RedTractor label means in terms of welfare. Not much for British farming to shout about there.  :(

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:16:24 pm »
More than slightly appalled at how little the RedTractor label means in terms of welfare. Not much for British farming to shout about there.  :(
Me too. I've never been a fan of marketing schemes like that anyway but after reading how low the it becomes apparent that it is just marketing and shouldn't be referring to animal welfare at all. The freedom food scheme isn't much better. It does however give us small producers the opportunity to stand above these kind of schemes and shout about our far better standards.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »
It seems that the pig "industry" are now aware of this campaign and are not impressed, particularly with the doing down of the red tractor scheme.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 08:31:14 am »
Most of our meat, eggs & dairy products are local if not our own, 1 thing I don't think they mentioned on the free range pig bit was how sows can often squash young piglets so some sort of separation device is normal, that allows both the sow & her young to move freely amongst 1 another but keeping the piglets safe like a hurdle in the sty with a bar missing.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 07:22:05 pm »
I read a reply by someone in the NPA I think it was that said outdoor piglets often freeze to death! I think the whole thing needs putting away until a common sense approach is taken. All the different systems have their merits and it's only right that the consumer has the information so they can make a choice.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:36:10 pm »
My sows farrow in their arks and make the loveliest nests and are really careful before lying down. I suspect that too much human interference is the reason for piglets being ignored and crushed. I may well be wrong----- I often am :-\

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:06 am »
My sows farrow in their arks and make the loveliest nests and are really careful before lying down. I suspect that too much human interference is the reason for piglets being ignored and crushed. I may well be wrong----- I often am :-\
Ours farrow out in their arks too, whatever the weather, and they're always cosy. Checking them over is a great way to warm your hands in the winter. I agree about the human intervention too. We generally just let them get on with it. I think poking around unsettles the sow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS