Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New'ish smallholder without a clue - Sir Gar  (Read 7735 times)

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llangadog, Carmarthenshire
New'ish smallholder without a clue - Sir Gar
« on: October 11, 2014, 04:08:22 pm »
Hi there, new member here.  :farmer:

We bought a house with a reasonable chunk of pasture land for what we plan to do (6 acres) in March of this year in Llangadog, Carmarthenshire on the north side of the Brecons. Love the location, except for the rain over the past week ;) We have relocated from Salisbury Plain and wanted somewhere for the other halfs dobbins and to raise our daughter somewhere even more rural. The Hawks out of Valley generate a similar environment to the military activity over SPTA, so I feel quite at home (just less small-arms fire)  :thumbsup:

So far we have installed SWMBO's three horses, 8 chickens and not much else, initially. Hopefully 2-4 sheep next year to bring on for meat. But it's all new to us and we haven't much of a clue where to start with paperwork. Any advice would be gratefully received. Apparently the land has a holding number but I don't know where to go to find it and then 'transfer', if applicable?

The land is bordered by a host of hardwood (oak/beech) which has yielded a few tonnes of firewood to season for next year. The plot is broken up into four roughly equal sized fields. The two top fields we have allocated to hay pasture and regular topping and harrowing has seen them improve over the past few months. Drainage will need fettling though. This summer these two fields yielded 400 small bales but the contractor cost came in at £500. Next year I will get a tedder which will drop that cost somewhat (we had one here but 'accidentally' sold it  :innocent:  ).

Equipment wise we bought a '61 MF35 3 pot diesel which is big enough for what we need but needs a few oil leaks fixing over the winter. Sump and rocker gasket then crank seal. We haggled on a 4ft topper/5ft chain harrow/6ft ring roller and fert spreader as part of the house deal (plus the tedder than SWMBO sold).

Paul & Lou
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:13:07 pm by Marlin.45 »

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
Re: New'ish smallholder without a clue - Sir Gar
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 06:54:02 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave:  My god daugher lives in Tenby :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:31:21 pm »
Hello from Devon :wave: Hope this forum gives you all the advice and support you need :)

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:14:03 pm »
Cheers both  :wave:

Yep we look forward to some useful advice and I can maybe assist in some areas too  :thinking:

Paul

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 09:35:09 am »
Hi, we must be very near to you as we live between Llansadwrn and Talley. I go to the film club and choir practice in Llangadog and OH is the secretary of East Carmarthen Beekeppers which also hold their meetings in Llangadog.

Most things that you want you can get from Carmarthen Animal Health. Look them up on line. I found them very helpful when we moved here.

We have 6 sheep, some chickens and ducks, a dog and cat.

Yes, it's been raining a lot the last few days but we have had a beautiful summer so can't complain.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 09:46:55 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 10:37:19 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. We had a holiday down your way in July. Lovely area.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:45 am »
Hello Paul and Lou

welcome to the forum

Give your local Animal Health dept a call as you will need your own CPH number as the old registered one is registered to former owner (is my understanding? sure Welsh rules same as English on this?)  and then you'll need a flock/herd number for any 4 legged stock you bring in ( obviously not the horses but more your sheep when you have them)  AH should send you out loads of bumph to read through, most of which is fairly easy to grasp but there's lots of people on here who will, I'm sure, help with any ambiguous stuff.
When we started 5 years ago we were clueless, we've developed a bit along the way but be prepared for a bit of a rollercoaster ride - most of its fun and rewarding though  ;D
Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 03:25:18 pm »
Hello Paul and Lou

welcome to the forum

Give your local Animal Health dept a call as you will need your own CPH number as the old registered one is registered to former owner (is my understanding? sure Welsh rules same as English on this?)  and then you'll need a flock/herd number for any 4 legged stock you bring in ( obviously not the horses but more your sheep when you have them)  AH should send you out loads of bumph to read through, most of which is fairly easy to grasp but there's lots of people on here who will, I'm sure, help with any ambiguous stuff.
When we started 5 years ago we were clueless, we've developed a bit along the way but be prepared for a bit of a rollercoaster ride - most of its fun and rewarding though  ;D
Lisa

Cheers 'Plums' called AH Carms and they put me over to the Welsh Gov office in Cardiff who have the docs on their way to me so we can apply for a new number :)

Hi, we must be very near to you as we live between Llansadwrn and Talley. I go to the film club and choir practice in Llangadog and OH is the secretary of East Carmarthen Beekeppers which also hold their meetings in Llangadog.

Most things that you want you can get from Carmarthen Animal Health. Look them up on line. I found them very helpful when we moved here.

We have 6 sheep, some chickens and ducks, a dog and cat.

Yes, it's been raining a lot the last few days but we have had a beautiful summer so can't complain.

Hi Bionic,

Llangadog, Ashfield up from the Compass roundabout. Yes very close. We don't go to any of the local clubs and only get into the village for the daughter to go to Cylch, shops, Goose & Cuckoo  :yum: Oh and my sneaky trips to the Telegraph Diner LOL.

We had a couple of hives here when we moved in but had them relocated to the New Forest to a friend of a friend so they could enjoy a change of scenery. I think the PO was a member of the ECB?

I agree it has been a brilliant summer and I only switched from shorts a couple of weeks ago  :innocent:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:41:59 pm »
Hello and congratulations on your move.
I'm in Caerphilly, but teach courses for smallholders in Monmouthshire. If you have any specific queries, feel free to send me a PM.

All the best
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 07:37:12 am »
Hi ....I'm also in Talley. Been here almost 2 years and now have 5 cows, 16 ewes, 3 rams and 14 ewe lambs, hens and ducks. Think ducks are most suited to this weather!       Think your hay was very good  Value at just over £1 a bale.....

I have been trying to organise a Carmarthenshire smallholders get together for Nov...... But not had too. Many replies. Interested?
Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:49 am »
Give your local Animal Health dept a call as you will need your own CPH number as the old registered one is registered to former owner (is my understanding? sure Welsh rules same as English on this?)

The CPH (County/Parish/Holding) number belongs to the holding not the person residing there. 

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 09:13:57 am »
FWIW, when I moved in I checked with Animal Health on whether I could just update the registry and use the existing CPH from the previous owner, but Animal Health issued me a new one instead.  It was easy and fast.  (I'm in Wales).
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 07:57:33 pm »
I was the same as Thyme. There was already a CPH no here but AH said I needed one of my own. I am in Wales too.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 09:52:38 pm »
Hi ....I'm also in Talley. Been here almost 2 years and now have 5 cows, 16 ewes, 3 rams and 14 ewe lambs, hens and ducks. Think ducks are most suited to this weather!       Think your hay was very good  Value at just over £1 a bale.....

I have been trying to organise a Carmarthenshire smallholders get together for Nov...... But not had too. Many replies. Interested?
Linda

We are. I did message on the other thread but I don't get on here too often probably best to mail me via the forum if that is possible? I will send you my email via a PM anyway.

Paul

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS