Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bees in compost  (Read 6793 times)

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Bees in compost
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:54:31 pm »
Hi all.

Right, start at the beginning Ben... (bee-ginning, sorry!)

I have a wooden compost bin at end of garden and started to notice few bees going n and out of the slats at one side at start of summer. Two weeks away, come home to what seems like the M1 for bees, constantly in and out, loads and loads. Not that bothered about the compost and knowing honey bees in bit of bother I was quite happy (though I've not been brave enough to lift the lid and look inside).

Now you must pardon my ignorance from here on in (pigs, fine. sheep,good. Bees?? No idea!!) I want to get rid of the compost bin, nothing to do with the bees, but it too big and space could be utilized better. What I want to know is, how long will there still be bees using it? Do they all die at winter? Or will some be planning on hunkering down there all winter? I don't want to move it an a) destroy their home or b) get stung!

Any advice very much appreciated

Diolch

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Bees in compost
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »
Are they honey bee's or bumble bees?

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 07:21:54 pm »
Honey.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:37:11 pm »
Find a local beekeeper and they'll come and collect them!

They are unlikely to move out of there own free will!!!

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:56:38 pm »
See I tried that, spoke to a swarm collector but tbh I found her very patronising and a bit rude. I'm 99% sure they honey bees (google) but she insisted they wont be, wasn't interested in collecting and said all but the queen would die after couple of frosts....???

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:01:02 pm »
What part of nottingham?
If you want I will put up a post on the beekeeping forum, and I can then pass on your details to them let me know if you would like me to do that

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 11:51:41 am »
Very unusual for honey bees yo be in a compost heap, so I'd pardon your local swarm lady for being suspicious, I get a lot of calls about 'honey bees' which often turn out not to be - particularly outside the usual swarming season (May to July) or in unusual places. Carder bees or bumble bees are more likely in my experience. Carder bee hives can number in the hundreds which looks like a lot to a non-beekeeper but is a drop in the ocean for a proper honey bee swarm.
Assuming they are actually honey bees then try another beekeeper if you can but the odds are fairly low that anyone has an empty hive and would want to faff around collecting them at this time of year, in which case you best bet might be to just leave them where they are as they'll be quietening down now and try to do something about them in spring when they start up again - assuming they make it through the winter.

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 06:44:39 pm »
not in the compost in the compost bin, i have picked up a number of colonies in compost bins.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 10:23:18 pm »
Yeah, I'm happy for you to put something on beekeeping forum; I'm in west Bridgford, close to Trent Bridge.

Like I say, I don't know anything about bees. Definitely not bumble. Me & wife spent sometime researching and we think they honey bees...

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 08:53:18 pm »
Do you have any pictures of the bees that wold help a lot.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 11:32:36 pm »
On holiday,back Monday will take some then cheers.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 01:18:32 am »
Yep I believe you Ben ,

Over the years I kept bees I've taken several well established large feral colony's of honey bees out of compost bins from above the compost,  from under cabinets in sheds , massive free hanging combs from rafters in cool dry roof voids and from under first story floors between the floor joists.  One nearly 12 feet long across two joists . I've  lost count of the number of  feral nest removals from flat roofs with 9 inch wide wooden joists & bricked up fireplaces that didn't have an air brick/open vent in the closed up opening .

Any reasonable small keeper should be able to remove the combs if the nest is of a worthwhile size .  Then cut them to near size and slip them into frames securing them there with elastic bands 
 So long as they move the queen over then wait till dark or the next day /week end for the rest of the nest to take up residence with the queen in the neuc box or even a full sized brood box sat on a base c / w lid  they are recoverable  if you're a keeper short on bees .

Several times I've put feral comb I've removed c/w bees above a queen excluder in a drawn framed brood box above a queen excluder on the host hive , then just let the bees sort them selves out for a fortnight or so as the queen with the strongest pheromone influences wins.

Survival rate is fairly high  If it is done quickly there will be little or no chilled brood happening , so long as the transfer temp is at or just above 50 oF ( 10 oC ) & the keeper feeds them up on less than a 1:1 syrup for a few days & gives them sugar patties over winter.
 They could also be united with a sheet of paper over a small stocked  hive in a few weeks time after first getting them settled .

The Varroa treatment might  be just an arricide & thymol in the syrup for this first over wintering .

Though this time of the years is now a tad too late to disturb them .  Perhaps letting nature take its course is best ,  if they survive a winter in the compost bin they could be an amazing colony for someone next year .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:37:11 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 01:45:09 pm »
Struggling to upload pictures or video onto forum - any idea? Or anyone who confident of bee identification and I can email? Thanks

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 08:14:30 pm »
Just sent you a pm

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 03:47:42 pm »
No pm veg....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS