Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trailer need for trip to abbattoir  (Read 1784 times)

Paradise Co-op

• Joined Sep 2014
Trailer need for trip to abbattoir
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:35:09 pm »
Hello everyone,

First post and an introduction. We are a Co-operative recently established in Wandsworth, SW London and have been keeping rare breed pigs since June on a plot of land in the borough.  We are a community focused entity, with plans to become a charity, having as one of our aims the promotion of mixed agriculture farming and sustainable living in urban London.  Our overarching vision is to seek to bring people together, to benefit each other, share our skills and our interests and stimulate creation, culture and community life in Wandsworth - thereby transforming our society through our use of urban farming and community gardening projects.

The pigs are a central part of the vision, and a jolly good job they have done of rotating the plot so far, but 4 out of the 7 of them are booked into Tottingworth farms (Sussex) on 17 November. Currently we lack a trailer to get them there, or a tow vehicle, and so was wondering if anyone could suggest a way forward.  We only have to be at the abattoir between 9-12 I am told. 

Many thanks

Olly

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Trailer need for trip to abbattoir
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:03:21 pm »
I would imagine in your area it would be easier to find someone with a horse trailer and something to tow it with. The lighter old Rice trailers are about 750kg and can be towed by a family car. I took mine to the butchers this way. I would have a look on your local horsy FB and offer a 'cut'.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:30:12 am »
Hi Paradise Co-op not sure if you are aware there is an abattoir that could be a lot closer for you, try Southern Traditional Meats of Woodmancote West Sussex 01273 495171 they are very helpful.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 08:45:05 am »
some abattoirs will arrange transport for you, just ask :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS