Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: europe: mating half February lambing in July - possible  (Read 1969 times)

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
europe: mating half February lambing in July - possible
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:10:07 pm »
I have 8 goat kids (Slovak white dairy goats) born in March 2014 and would like to get them mated in February to lamb in July.......
Is this possible? Days we get longer after 21st of December - will the still come in heat?

And it will be very difficult to keep the billy goat out of their sight and smell. So they will start coming in heat from now on but will this continue till half February or later?

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: europe: mating half February lambing in July - possible
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »

This was Sweetroses kid born in August...her second kid of that year

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:21:51 pm »
I would have thought they were a bit young to be mated this year. It's more usual to wait until their second autumn so they are fully grown.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:58:22 pm »
It is possible, they should start coming in season now, and keep on until January/ February. BUT, each one will be different, and there is no way to guarantee they will still come in in February. You could try sponging them in January to make sure they come in when you want. Remember when they kid in July there will be plentiful rich grass, and you will need to adjust their feed accordingly.

Beth

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 12:43:43 pm »
I have never had a problem kidding kids, as long as they are well grown and fed accordingly it should be OK. I would have thought they would still be coming into heat in February. Good luck :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS