Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dudleia - life's victim  (Read 8605 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Dudleia - life's victim
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »
This is the cade ewe my wife 'rescued' . She got crow pecked as a neonate - lost bits of both ears, one eye and some tongue so she has difficulty ruminating and spit a lot out.
Some days she's very cheerful and other days a bit sad. We still give her a bottle twice a day 'cos she can cope with that and it's extra nutrition. Yes, we know that one day she's going to get too sorry to be fair to keep but until then let he enjoy being alive.

This is the ewe that got butted and concussed by one of the big sheep. this si the ewe that just had to go lame with a blackthorn in her foot - but bounced back after i found and pulled it and jabbed her.

She's usually waiting by the gate in the mornings for her bottle but nowhere to be seen this am. The other lambs came bounding up and so did the two big sheep - but no Dudliea.

After breakfast i got out the quad bike and went looking. They're in Fiona field which is 45 degrees and 10 acres.. a tad steep for my tractor courage so the boundaries are heavy with trees and bushes and brambles. The sheep usually nest at the top overnight but it took a while to check along there - until i heard Dudliea's wan Baa. Yes she was all tangled up in brambles but insisted on her bottle before she'd let me cut her free and then still looked distressed until i got her to plod behind the quadbike and follow me over a rise to see the rest of the flock... then she grinned and bounded after them.

Another typical Dudliea day.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Dudleia - life's victim
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:44:27 pm »
Aw bless  :hug:

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:49:47 pm »
Your story makes me glad you're alive.!!! There always seems to be a waif amongst the flock at some stage and as long as they're happy with life, I'm with you, give them a chance, they usually let you know when it all becomes too much.  :sunshine: :hug:

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 04:28:37 pm »
I'd call her a survivor  ;) :love:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:47:47 pm »
Just an update here. On average 3 times a week i have to ride up the hill and free Dudliea from brambles. All the other sheep are strong enough to pull themselves free in the mornings but insist on going up there to sleep at night.

I don't think Duddy even tries.. she just Baa's and waits with that sad one-eyed expression. She still guzzles her bottle down twice a day and still looks pathetic otherwise.

The rest of the cades (or ex cades now they're all quite large) are a  rambumptious  :eyelashes: lot... rush to the gate when i go see them twie a day and prefer a little dry food hand fed - three muzzles jostling together. The original unclaimed starys we couldn't get near have finally got less jumpy witht eh big breakthrough yesterday when Polar ate from a hand for the first time..and today she was jostling with the rest and got her muzzle stroked without freaking.

One day last week i lost Dudliea. She wasn't with the rest for afternoon bottle and when i rode up and followed the shrubbery edges of the field there was no sign and no baa. It was my second sweep on the 10 acre field edges - after walking the stream in case she'd drowned in that. That i found an open gate halfway up that i'd missed on first sweep. Someone must have been in there 'cos no way does a rope loop jump over a gate post on it's own. That gate leads to a small disued quarry and young woodland full of impassable bramble on a  steep slope. I had images of spending days cutting my way through it looking for a dead sheep but my calling baa to Duddy was answered with a faint return in her low gravelly voice - stuck by one thin tendril of blackberry right in the middle of quarry. I tucked her under my arm, pulled it adrift and carried her back to Fiona field - and tied that sodding gate shut.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:55:28 pm »
You should write a book about her capers,  :sheep: they all deserve a chance, enjoyed reading your post  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 01:07:38 pm »
I am sure you love her lots  :hug:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 09:03:04 am »
And you know she's with you 'til the natural end now ::)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:40:20 pm »
And you know she's with you 'til the natural end now ::)

Sadly I doubt that will be the case. I guess it's pretty inevitable that I shall have to euthanase her at soem stage either because she's just dowright miserable all the time (as opposed to some of the time as now) - or just because she gets too weak.

If anyone has any tips for getting dried, crusted sheep spittle and regurgitated rument out of wool without hsearing a poorly sheep in winter then please et me know..it won't wash out with shampoos or comb out and i'm sure it adds to her miseries.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 02:11:03 pm »
Sorry I can’t help, buts it’s heart warming to know how much you care, even knowing the ‘inevitable’ will arrive.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 04:21:14 pm »
Would hand shearing the affected areas not leave her enough fleece for warmth?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 07:46:12 pm »
It sounds like she should wear a bib.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:29:37 pm »
Face . brisket and front legs to the shoulders... probably would need a wimple....

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 12:15:17 am »
I wonder if there's an emoticon for a sheep in a wimple  :-J
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 06:15:50 am »
I wonder if there's an emoticon for a sheep in a wimple  :-J

..ain't nun.. :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS