Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hernia in GOS  (Read 1451 times)

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
Hernia in GOS
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:56:03 am »
Hello all,

I picked up two GOS weaners a couple of months ago from a reputable breeder that I have used before. Last time (about three years ago) one of them got what I assumed was a small hernia around his winkle. It never got much bigger than an orange so never really worried about it and they were great pork!

When I collected them this time (the breeder was away), one of my selected piggies hasd a small hernia but i didn't worry too much about it. Now it is the size of a cantaloupe melon, but is not getting any larger. He appears in no discomfort and is quite happy.

I heard (no idea if this person knew what they were talking about) said the meat will be tainted and I should kill the pig.

I have photos if anyone needs to see it....just email me.

Any advice?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Hernia in GOS
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:52:03 am »
Maybe an umbilical hernia? If he's going for meat, I wouldn't worry. I can't see any reason for taint though.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 10:56:17 am »
I've never heard (or experienced) any taint from pigs with hernias - we have the occaisional kunekune weaner with a scrotal hernia and run them on for meat - no issues  :thumbsup:
There's no reason why it would taint the meat, unless the pig was in pain/distress at the time of slaughter - but it would be adrenaline which would cause the taint - not the hernia.
Providing it isn't causing him pain or discomfort, or suddenly increases in size I'd just keep an eye on him and he should be fine.
HTH

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:09:01 pm »
No reason I can think of to worry about taint.  Are these piglets from a different sow/boar combination to those you bought in the past?  I would never breed again from anything that had, or produced piglets with, a hernia.

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:22:32 pm »
Thanks all for the reassurance. I should know better than to listen to opinions outside this forum which is the fountain of all pig knowledge!!!

BTW...I reckon umbilical sounds about right......if you gently squeeze the bulge, it all goes back inside and you can actually feel that there is a hole in he abdominal wall.....don't worry, piggy has no discomfort and likes the attention!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 07:57:37 pm »
I would send to slaughter sooner rather than later though - risk is it will become "pinched" as the pig grows and cause an intestinal blockage - agonising and requiring emergency slaughter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS