Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What weight are your rabbits when you kill them  (Read 2924 times)

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
What weight are your rabbits when you kill them
« on: October 05, 2014, 07:55:19 pm »
Just wondering what weight you kill your rabbits for the table. I have a litter of 6 that are 8/9 weeks old I weighed one today and it was 1kg/2.5lbs I feel that's a little on the light side yet but also what's the live/dead weight ratio

Cheers
Righa

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: What weight are your rabbits when you kill them
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:54:49 am »
I seem to remember that the commercial breed of NZ fed on the commercial diet was 3 pounds four ounces average at 8 to 9 weeks old & that short time slot was the critical time to make a profit or slip into loss either side of that time slot.

I can't recall the dress out weight ,for that was done at the processor's premises , He paid us live weight,  but he'd always make sure he had his pound of flesh before parting with any dosh in our direction.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: What weight are your rabbits when you kill them
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:59:55 pm »
you want to kill them before 12 weeks preferably 8-10 weeks. Feed 18% protein diet and they should reach around 4lb at least by 8 weeks. Imagine that you will get 2lb of meat.

This is what I have been aiming for! Its vital to get good breeding stock! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS