Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chilli plants  (Read 7167 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Chilli plants
« on: October 02, 2014, 05:32:48 pm »
My chillis have lots of fruit on them some of which I have already used and some I have frozen. For those that are going to be dried do I leave them to dry on the plant or harvest them and dry indoors?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Chilli plants
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 08:39:30 pm »
I would say that you pick them off and dry them.
Dry them on a tray or I have seen folk putting a needle and thread through them so you have 1 big 'chain' of them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »

Yes, cut them with a long stalk, once they've turned red but before they start to shrivel, then thread them and hang them up to dry. My son dries his in a very low oven.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 09:52:28 am »
My chilli plant is in over drive at the moment and have already made three bottles of chilli oil. If I was to dry some, how do I go about doing it? I've seen methods using an oven and also using just an airing cupboard. Or is there anything else I can do with them?!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 10:03:41 am »
Blondie, I am going to make chilli oil with the dried chillis. From everything I have read it you put fresh chillis in then it doesn't last very long because of the water content still in them.
I am going to make mine for christmas presents so need to dry them. Not sure if I am doing the right thing for drying but I am just leaving them in a bowl in the kitchen.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 04:54:23 pm »
I normally string mine up to dry, so that air gets to them from every direction and they don't touch each other.

Will have a go at making chilli oil this year too - as had a bumper harvest!

Have already made a few batches of chilli/ginger/lime and tomato jam, plus a spicy tomato chutney - any other recipe ideas?

How do you freeze chillies (and sweet peppers for that matter)?

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 05:54:18 pm »
I just lob my chillis in a bag in the freezer, then when needed take one out, grate the required amount and return whats left to the freezer. 

I have also put grated chilli into a ice cube freezer tray, added a little drop of oil and then frozen. Then just tip out the chilli oil ice cube block into the required pan when cooking.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:07:21 pm »
I just lob my chillis in a bag in the freezer, then when needed take one out, grate the required amount and return whats left to the freezer. 

I have also put grated chilli into a ice cube freezer tray, added a little drop of oil and then frozen. Then just tip out the chilli oil ice cube block into the required pan when cooking.

Thanks - will try that.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 08:53:38 pm »
Only hot ones I grow are jalapenos. also a bumper crop this year - but I've eaten them all :innocent:

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 08:09:00 am »
Blondie, I am going to make chilli oil with the dried chillis. From everything I have read it you put fresh chillis in then it doesn't last very long because of the water content still in them.
I am going to make mine for christmas presents so need to dry them. Not sure if I am doing the right thing for drying but I am just leaving them in a bowl in the kitchen.

I cooked the chillis and heated the oil so I'm hoping the chillies will keep well in the oil? They fine at the moment.

I think I will try drying some chillies in the oven as my house is quite cold and damp so worried about mold growing. Thanks for all the tips.

Oh and as I type this yet more flowers are blooming on my chilli plant!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:26:06 pm »
I'm trying to make a concentrated chilli sauce by fermenting whizzed up chili's in a sugar solution , letting wild yeasts do the fermenting .  I'm following advice from one of my  internet friends who lives down in Texas .
Which reminds me , I have to agitate & oxygenate the must to night and again in three days .

I also  have a plate of ripe chilli peppers sat on top of the combi boiler unit which is in the airing cupboard , they need turning as well .

We've kept a few chili's for eating , but , " Boy Oh boy" , even a 1/3 of small chilli pepper in the curry is very noticeable if they are chopped fine & are soft fried with the chopped onions and minced garlic before putting them into the curry's base mix
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llangadog, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:14:11 pm »
Mine were sown late so it will be a late batch. They are being brought on indoors by a huge south facing window at the rear of the house and have only now started to bud  :thumbsup:

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 04:38:06 pm »
Here is another suggestion. A couple of dried chillies dropped into a bottle of dry sherry and left to infuse makes an additional zing to add into soup as a final drizzle. A little goes a long way !

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 04:43:23 pm »
That sounds interesting Ghdp. I might just have to try it

Marlin.45

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llangadog, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 08:36:03 pm »
I use dried red finger chillis dropped in vodka. It doesn't matter if they're dried either as the alcohol will kill off any deterioration. Just be light on the peppers. After two years in the bottle that stuff smarts!  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS