Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaners  (Read 5822 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
weaners
« on: October 02, 2014, 01:02:24 pm »
What time of year are weaners available to buy, and are they available most of the year? Just deciding when to venture into pigs - now ish or spring or another time?  Also does anyone have / will anyone have in the future any weaners in the Cheshire ish area please?  Not too fussed about breed etc.  Once again many thanks.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: weaners
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 01:39:51 pm »
From my limited experience they are available all year round although I have no idea what would be available in your area.
If this is your first time with weaners I would wait until spring. I am sure you will enjoy them more then. They turn the ground over very quickly and you could be up to your ankles in mud in no time. Spring mud is one thing but being cold and muddy is not the best and having to break the icea on their water etc, but if you don't mind that then go for it now.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »
I agree on late Spring being a good choice for your first expedition into keeping weaners.  We should have a couple of litters of Gloucestershire Old Spots available then.  A popular choice for firsttimers due to docility, excellent taste and the fact that lop ears means they get into less trouble than the prick-eared variety!

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 02:41:17 pm »
we always buy sort of spring time and then they would be off for slaughter around september or so
if you get them now then you are keeping them through the winter which we have thought about having a second batch to do but never got to it, the problem is then that you are keeping them when the ground is wet and muddy and they have a higher potential for foot problems and there could be a bit of snow on the ground for a short period in the uk so housing must be suitable for such

basically keeping them through spring and summer is a lot easier and simpler IMO
Cheers Ed

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 05:34:30 pm »
Thank you everyone

Holly

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 12:46:57 pm »
Hello, we have pedigree Gloucester Old Spot Weaners available at the moment.  One litter is coming up to 8 weeks and another litter will be available for new homes mid December.  A lovely breed for a first time venture.  We are based in Holmesfield, North East Derbyshire.  Contact Holly on 07950 923762 or look at my Facebook page 'Little Orchards Farm' for pictures etc.  Good luck

littleacorn

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:33:46 pm »
We have some Gloucestershire Old Spots boar weaners 9 weeks old and we are near Whitchurch if you want a couple now.   ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 12:13:14 am »
So for your average porkers, what age will they be when you pick them up, and what age will they be when ready for the freezer?  (Just planning for next year, when we hope *finally* to be able to get some of our own!)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:16:16 am »
Definitely wait till spring.

I had to send mine off last week because of the mud.
I usually buy in May, at about 8 weeks, and send off in October, at about 7 months.  By which time they're big, pushy teenagers and likely to knock me over.
  As it's been a dry summer even here they'd stripped the turf back and had firm bare earth until October.  Last Thursday when we had torrential rain all day, by teatime it was so churned up I couldn't safely step over the electric fence to put their feed in the trough.
They went Monday and I collect the meat tomorrow. :yum:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 08:11:47 pm »
I generally sell GOS weaners at around 9 weeks - 8 with Mum then a week to get used to being without her and taking all nutrition as pellets.  I would generally reckon on taking boars to slaughter at 24 weeks, gilts a fortnight or so later.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 11:08:54 am »
There are many - livestock for sale in *insert county* groups on Facebook now and are an excellent way if keeping apprised of what is available in your area and when. Plus there is a bit more come back than gumtree so I would expect a better class of seller as the unacceptables will be weaned out.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 07:17:20 pm »
We've fattened a few pigs each year for 5 years now. For the 1st 4 years we bought them in March and they would be ready for slaughter around July. This year we got them in July and they are going in 2 weeks. We changed from Spring because we felt it was such a shame to miss out on giving them all the surplus from the polytunnel, grass growth and excess veg from the fields around us (with permission).
Our pigs have a large paddock area (4 pigs in 30m by 40m) so although they have done a pretty good job of turning a lot of it over there is still a fair amount of un- "rotovated" paddock.
As for breeds - the first 2 years we had lop eared pigs (GOS and GOS crosses) and found they were very docile basically cos they didn't see very well! The last 3 batches have been more pointy ears, a big difference and they have been MUCH more boisterous  :excited:
Whatever you choose, enjoy, they are addictive  :innocent:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 07:30:44 pm »
I just picked up two this afternoon. My ark is on hard standing and their paddock drains very well so I have never had a problem having piglets over the winter.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 12:46:01 pm »
They are available year round as has been said. I use to manage a outdoor breeding unit, we put upwards of 900 weaners onto a lorry every week, 52 weeks of the year.

As has been said the only issue would be how messy they will make the paddock during wet weather. Then when that wet mud freezes into rock hard sharp points they are reluctant to walk about on it but you'd be incredibly beautiful unlucky to get pig with foot problems cos of wet weather, they aren't sheep!

But summertime brings issues too, need for shade and wallows to keep cool and happy.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 10:30:33 pm »
By all means, make plans for having pigs in spring, BUT start making enquiries now. Some people seem to think breeders keep weaners sitting on a shelf, waiting for buyers. In reality, lots of litters are booked way in advance - some even before they are born.

If you have a particular breed in mind, start doing your research and looking for breeders now. Otherwise you may end up buying any old thing at market, just because you want to start keeping pigs in spring - and it may not be a wise move.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS