Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Faecal egg counts  (Read 3769 times)

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
Faecal egg counts
« on: October 02, 2014, 10:27:54 am »
I am so sorry to ask as I am sure this will have been asked lots of times before but I can't find the answer!
At what count of eggs present do you need to start worming? Is there an acceptable number they can live with and what is the top end of the scale?
I have just had results back from the vet of 500 which sounds horrendous! They are suggesting using benzimidazole drench (white drench) and then testing 10-14 days later to see if the worms were resistant or not. Does that sound like the best plan of action?
As always any comments gratefully received.
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Faecal egg counts
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:56:48 am »
Are their droppings normal or runny? The one to watch out for is the Haemoncus contorta worm, as it causes anaemia rather then diarrhoea, but again under 500 it is sub-clinical.

Matthews says faecal egg counts of 500 to 2000 in kids present sub-clinical infection, so would have thought that unless your goats are unwell, maybe no need to worm?

I have had resistance to white wormers, so have now been on Oramec for a while (for both sheep and goats). Haven't wormed anyone this year, no need. Not even the sheep (since lambing). If I worm the goats they stay inside for a couple of days afterwards.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 12:00:10 pm »
My vets suggest worming with a count >300 and then repeat 10 - 14 days after. If no resistance with the white wormer then I don't see a problem - your vet will know your herd.  Just make sure that you change wormers at least annually. The resample 10-14 days post worming is to check it is effective and not resistant.  Make sure you weigh as accurately as you can, dose for the right weight and your dosing gun is accurate. Also I use 2 x sheep dose for a white wormer

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 02:24:42 pm »
As a vet, often the cut off is 300epg, but can somewhat go on signs too, if 500 but no scours, everyone is growing well and not thin, could consider not worming.
If you do worm, using white wormed is a good idea, it is cheap and generally safe, but do as said above, weigh goats accurately because they are heavier than they look, even to vets! And do use double the sheep dose.
Checking at 10-14 days is a great plan to see if you have any resistance.
PLEASE do not change workers every year, this is now known to increase the chances of getting resistance.
It is also worth having them on pasture that has been used for grazing for a week or so afterwards, that way if there are any resistant worms left in the gut, they will have to fight against non resistant worms that get picked up from the dirty pasture.
Have a look at SCOPS, although its for sheep, it can be applied to goats as well.
Hope that helps
Suzanne

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:36:43 pm »
Having had a worm problem with some , so sof the goats I now do a worm count.  This time it came back high - over 500.  I have wormed all the goats and sheep, and will now do another worm count in a few weeks to see if its any different.

My vet looks at it, with the view that if the count is low, don't worm.  She says its likely my goats are now resistant to some wormers, so is monitoring us carefully and looking at different options  - she likes a challenge!!  But I don't like the bills!!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 04:59:06 pm »

My vet looks at it, with the view that if the count is low, don't worm.  She says its likely my goats are now resistant to some wormers, so is monitoring us carefully and looking at different options  - she likes a challenge!!  But I don't like the bills!!

Isn't it the worms that are resistant to the wormer not the goats?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 05:25:07 pm »
PLEASE do not change workers every year, this is now known to increase the chances of getting resistance.

Really?  What's the reason for that then? (if it's known?).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 09:32:15 pm »
The worms have to develop resistance to each new wormer.
It takes a while, but once they have resistance they don't usually lose it.
If you change wormers every year, they develop resistance to different classes all at once, so no wormer can kill them. if you leave it until you have resistance to only one wormer, usually they can be killed off by the next class of wormer, and it will be some time before they become resistant to that kind, and so on.
Hope that makes sense!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 11:37:07 pm »
Indeed - thanks for that. I totally get the reasons for trying to avoid resistance. However, this worming malarkey is pretty complicated, isn't it? 

The thing I found most surprising was the vet saying no action would be required at egg counts of less than 400 per gramme of poo. Seriously?!? 400 eggs per gramme is a low level of infection?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 07:29:13 am »
Thank you everyone, that has put my mind at ease a wee bit. It is the first time the vet has recommended worming so I will do it now and hope I can keep the counts down in the future.
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:30:00 pm »
The worms have to develop resistance to each new wormer.
It takes a while, but once they have resistance they don't usually lose it.
If you change wormers every year, they develop resistance to different classes all at once, so no wormer can kill them. if you leave it until you have resistance to only one wormer, usually they can be killed off by the next class of wormer, and it will be some time before they become resistant to that kind, and so on.
Hope that makes sense!

Sorry to pick up an older thread but I'm still a bit confused - Suzanne, are you saying to keep using the same wormer until the worms become resistant? And presumably this would be confirmed by FEC? How long does it take to get to this point or does it vary?

breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 10:05:24 am »
I found it strange reading this too, to avoid resistance to other things, don't they normally say to use two simultaneously, like insecticides or antibiotics..? Because the chance of organisms to evolve in two directions simultaneously is incredibly low whereas if used in sequence there is a greater opportunity for resistance to occur over time to each chemical and once developed it it likely to be conserved?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS