Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: stock training  (Read 5622 times)

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
stock training
« on: October 01, 2014, 11:13:13 pm »
Bit of a long shot but does any one in carmarthenshire/pembs have any rams in a shed or small paddock I could introduce my 6 month old pup to for steadying under strict control obviously
I would be happy to pay a few quid for the inconvenience. I have a few local farms but all there rams are out at the moment
Much appreciated
Terry

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: stock training
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:34:29 pm »
Why do you need to put a 6 month old puppy in with rams?

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:57:37 pm »
Not to get a battering or any thing but they would stand there ground and maybe intimidate him a bit. He is walked daily through sheep on a lead but has chased twice a few weeks ago so I am keen to get it addressed. He is a lurcher
But I will keep walking him daily regardless sure we will get there 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 01:29:44 pm »
Think you're asking for trouble a ram will easily kill a puppy. Stick it on a long line and train it out in the fields rather than putting it in a confined space and risk it getting hurt.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:43:37 pm »
I've heard of but never seen this approach actually used to prevent a dog from worrying. However, I'm with Twizzel on this, especially with a 6 mnth old pup. I wouldn't put any pup in a confined area with even my Soay ewes. Think they could seriously injure a pup, or pup might 'turn on' the sheep, or pup will lose trust in you, or lose confidence in general or many other negative scenarios. Not sure that you would be able to manage or control the situation effectively enough to achieve what you are hoping for.

At 6 mnths pup is still very young and immature and in general their obedience level is not high or consistent at that age. Think I would concentrate on that and use a long line when in with sheep.

I can well understand your need to prevent chasing/worrying. There are others on here that will probably be able to help you with that ..... my retrievers don't tend to have the drive/desire to chase so not had to deal with that problem very much whereas your lurcher is probably wired to be 'keen'. Think Plums and her dog completed some lessons on this .... maybe she will be around soon.

Good luck with it.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:10:47 pm »
Broken all my running dogs to sheep without the need to put them in a pen with them.

Did it through boredom and control.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:28:35 pm »
Any of my ewes or ram lambs would happily kill a pup.  If you keep the dog on a lead around livestock and train it to immediately come when called you'd be setting both of you up for a pleasant life together.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 03:02:30 pm »
My Spaniel has been around livestock from day 1 when we got her at 8 weeks old. She caught a chicken when she was about 6 months old, I laid into her quite severely (bellowed NO at her, strong eye contact and held her by the scruff under her neck as I said no. Picked her up, shut her in a dark stable for half an hour and she's never touched a chicken since.

She is very livestock safe after learning cows are not very friendly and not to go near them. She chased a calf in the field once and was shut in the truck after a stern telling off- never did it again. She will now happily bumble around the sheds in winter watching where she's going and getting out of the way if needs be. They need to know boundaries so put your puppy on a long line and the minute it goes to chase livestock give it a stern telling off. It will come to ignore stock but it does take time and persistence and consistent training. Good luck :)

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 09:17:07 pm »
Thanks for the pointers every one yes it will be a last resort. At the moment daily visits to the sheep for an hour and playing with his toys in the field and walking to heel etc all on a lead or long line.
Tonight went extremely well throw a ball towards a couple of sheep and he belts after the ball and the sheep think his coming there way so start to trot and a perfect target but every time he blanked them and went for the ball. Only did that as a tester to see where i am at. Wouldn't make a habit of that as I don't want to disturb sheep too much. But I think with time I can crack this  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:21:23 pm by captainhastings »

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 09:21:26 pm »
Captain - are these your sheep?
Sheep

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:38 pm »
Captain - are these your sheep?

no but I have full permission a very helpful farmer known each other since I was kid

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 09:55:26 pm »
Out of interest, do you intend to work the lurcher?

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 09:58:52 pm »
You know your dog and I dont, but Id be concerned that throwing the ball towards the sheep - who then move is actually encouraging the 'chase' instict in your dog. This ball chasing is likely to highten his excitement around sheep. Id be more inclined to just walk very relaxed around the sheep - great distance at first.
Sheep

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 10:16:09 pm »
Out of interest, do you intend to work the lurcher?

Yes I do intend to work him so thats why I am spending the time to stock train to be reliable

captainhastings

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:25 pm »
You know your dog and I dont, but Id be concerned that throwing the ball towards the sheep - who then move is actually encouraging the 'chase' instict in your dog. This ball chasing is likely to highten his excitement around sheep. Id be more inclined to just walk very relaxed around the sheep - great distance at first.

Cheers js I understand your point but he is actually very cool and calm around the sheep and we just carry on about our business as if they are not there be that walking to heel playing with his rope toy or tonight a ball. But I did tempt him deliberately tonight just to see how we are going and results were good. So with luck as said in a previous post over time he will just be bored stiff of them running or not and they will just be a back ground noise to him at least thats the plan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS