Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: anyone used a marquee for lambing?  (Read 3818 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
anyone used a marquee for lambing?
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:01:08 pm »
ahead of myself here (end of January lambing) but am considering putting a marquee up in the back garden where a couple of ewes at a time can be in for lambing then they will be transferred over to the stables/field (only lambing 7 ewes).  Plan would be to set up a camera in the marquee as it's near enough to the house (no line of sight to the house from the stables).    Could then just check the camera regularly - in my PJs instead of having to get dressed and go out in the pitch dark in the middle of the night in January only to find nothing doing  :-\

anyone had experience of using a temporary marquee for lambing?    any comments on pros/cons welcome

thanks

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: anyone used a marquee for lambing?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:23:34 pm »
is it windy there in January? it might take off if so.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:44:56 pm »
You could get a cracking price for the hire of it in January.

I wonder if the smell will have faded by wedding season?  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 09:56:36 pm »
We thort about it once and then went for second hand poletunnel workt a treat .

Graemscifi

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 04:59:44 pm »
i have not done this but lambing in polytunnels is very comon up here in the far north of scotland, its nearly the same. i met a woman on a course once who lambed a hill station of 6000 blackface in polytunnels she said was great. just need to be sure that it has no flappy bits, plenty of room and ventelation. sounds very practicl and cheep for those short of a building/ground and of course money for a building

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:51:29 pm »
We put up a camera last year (lazy lambing, I called it ::) ) and it was wonderful. 
Any sort of cover that gets you and the ewes out of driving rain has got to be an improvement.  You could put a few straw bales around the sides for some shelter too.  We put some bales out in the nursery field and lambs make good use of them. :thumbsup:

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:43:55 pm »
 :thumbsup:  thanks for the replies folks      there is a bit in the garden that is sheltered from the prevailing wind by shrubbery in next door's garden so that might help       

McGregor polytunnels very kindly did me a drawing and quote for a mini version of one of their agricultural polytunnels - a variation without the mesh sides as they think open ends should be enough ventilation for such a small one (approx. 4.5m x 6 m)   Marquees of a similar size work out much cheaper, however the McGregor polytunnel would be on a strong frame.  They did say that there should be little concrete pads that it will be bolted on to and that it could be taken down and put up again.    Hmmm - will have a think about it.

would be good to hear from anyone who's used a McGregor polytunnel or similar

have also had a quick look at 'dancover' who make similar shelters

thanks again!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 07:21:07 am »
Hello  :wave:

I'm lambing this year for the first time in a marquee. It's a 6m by 12m and I'm going to buy from a poly tunnel company .( can't remember the company off the top of my head but I can get it for you) they sell the mesh sides used for the proper sheep poly tunnels for the ventilation.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 07:13:50 pm »
Thanks Hillview that would be great :thumbsup:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 12:19:06 pm »
They are called premier poly tunnels. I will get you the Web link later as I'm currently sat on top of a maize clamp and nor bear my Pc. They have a Web site if you want to look in the mean time. On the left there Is a list and I think it comes under extras or add ons

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 08:07:37 pm »
Thanks Hillview - off for a look now   :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS