Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I feed the brassicas?  (Read 1859 times)

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
Should I feed the brassicas?
« on: September 30, 2014, 02:34:24 pm »
hi
I've got cabbage Brussels, broccolli and curly kale growing, some of the kale have shot and been enjoyed by the chooks, some of the brussels are growing nicely but others seem to be doing less well, cabbage firm but not huge, was wondering if I should give them a feed, got som liquid veg food was considering or would this encourage the kale, broccolli etc to shoot?
Also can I leave the potatoes in their containers or should I lift them now folage wilted,? Thought I could lift as required ;D

Mandy

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Should I feed the brassicas?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:57:38 pm »
Tatties - get them out of the tubs or the slugs will have them.  Take them out of the pots and once they are dry (by sun and wind) store them in a cool and dark place in either a paper or hessian sack or wooden tray.  Discard any rottens, softs or damaged ones.

Brassicas - you could give them a little feed.  Anything that is bolting, just cut the flower off and the plant will put its energy back into the heart of the cabbage or indeed the kale leaves.  Don't forget some bittersaltz - magnesium is very important and it helps keep things green.

Bolting only happens if the plants have had a 'check' in their growth - an early frost or irregular available moisture so make sure that they are well watered.  Afterall this September has been very mild and dry.

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
Re: Should I feed the brassicas?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:04:36 am »
Brill ;D  thanks for that, chooks going to be deprived of the last bolter lol

Mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS