Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Condemned meat  (Read 2311 times)

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
Condemned meat
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:11:00 pm »
Hi,

A fellow pig keeping friend just had the rear legs on 2 of her 4 pigs condemned by the abattoir due to arthritis. Has anyone else encountered this ? And why does Arthritis mean that the meat is no good ?

Thanks

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: Condemned meat
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:44:03 pm »
It was probably septic arthritis ie from an infection in the joint, rather than old age type arthritis. The leg would be condemned & if multiple joints involved then the whole carcass.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:23:37 am »
I lost a leg on a sheep for similar reason. I acquired this sheep and it had got tangled in baker twine before I took it on causing permanent damage to the joint. Because the animal doesn't move properly the muscle wastes.

I'm surprised you lost the whole legs. The last pig I had with a wonky joint didn't cause much meat loss. Do you get to see the meat In This instance. I always wonder if someone is on the fiddle. Who's to know unless you get vet signed document to say there was an issue.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:12:32 pm »
It should be detailed in the FSA report you get after slaughter. Go into your movement archive on the eaml2 and look up your completed movements they should all have a report attached giving details of any issues.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:19:34 pm »
I may be wrong but isn't this likely to be arthritis from erisipilis

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS