Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bearding. should I act or not  (Read 3197 times)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
bearding. should I act or not
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:54:49 pm »
I have one hive that has bean increasingly bearding since we extracted,
so there is no supper on it now. It has been a good strong collany.
so I was thinking either.

Do nothing , at this time of year they will start dieing back anyways.

put back a supper plus queen excluder.

put one supper without queen excluder, so they have a bit more space.
and In the hopes to divide next spring into two. I have heard of people doing this.
called one and a half. with ready made wax cells from hunny extraction supper.

put on a second braud box without drawn out cells?

weather is good here northern france, ivy not quite blossoming here yet.

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
Re: bearding. should I act or not
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:40:56 pm »
decided to go for supper plus excluder.
and see what happens tomorrow..

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:27:52 pm »
Dont leave the excluder in over winter though!

sandalfarm

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:53:25 pm »
I'm very new to bee keeping so help what is bearding please

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 03:52:18 pm »
Hi sandalfarm google it there's loads of pictures but otherwise it means there hot,
and or overcrowded. It is actually a good sign as it happens to strong hives normally.
this would corresponded to this one. the info I have read says give them more space
or ventilation, its there way of cooling the honey and the rest of the brood.
in this case I know they need more space as it was a really packed hive
when we extraxted, and at that point was thinking to put back a supper, it had two on.

excluder. and supper

1, why should I not leave it in over winter.

2. from that should I gather that it would be best to give them the supper to use as brood? or just that it would be best to take it away (the supper) once it cools down
a bit and the colony is actually smaller.
It is quite warm at the moment but it could turn quite quickly.

they could start gathering ivy soon which is grate for over wintering but if I then
take it away in the supper it would not be much benefit. Also if they do fill it with
ivy and gorse honey I'll have a hell of a job extracting it. it is supposed to be nice though.
has anyone got any ideas.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:12:30 pm »
I have left my colony with a double brood box.  I don't really understand why you would need an excluder other than for ventilation, which will then hinder them during winter.  Quite unusual to beard at this time of year isn't it?

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 07:41:42 pm »
they are not bearding now with the supper on..

ar yes Greenerlife, well I guess I put the excluder in becouse without it then I would have to leave it for the winter, plus we have limited drawn out comb to get in early in spring.
however as you said a bit strange this year, but it really has been a great bee year,
there quite strong and I don't see them slowing this week as the ivy is just breaking out they are very busy, so... should I swope the supper for a new (double brood now)
hope they draw it out and dont get cold in winter, or take out the excuder to give them 1 and a half brood, ie sacrifice the drawn out honey comb supper, or take the ivy
honey and reduce down to normal brood size when it get a bit colder?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 08:53:26 pm »
I don't know if I am right, but in the same situation I would take the excluder out and leave them in brood and a half.  They clearly don't have enough room in a single brood box is my guess.  but it is just a guess.  In winter I would put dummy boards down the sides, so that they get the extra insulation and a narrower area to "cuddle"

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 11:37:14 pm »
Mine are both on double brood box now - then you don't have to worry about using an excluder because there is no reason to keep the queen out of a second brood box. Loads of space for food and they've both still got a lot of brood in there (or did last week although one colony is now so antsy I only got through checking one brood box before giving up and leaving them to their stinging ways).

Bad varroa this season though - wondering whether it goes hand in hand with bad red mite!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS