Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crossbreeding Dexters for mainstream Carcass size  (Read 2046 times)

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
Crossbreeding Dexters for mainstream Carcass size
« on: September 27, 2014, 07:47:03 pm »
We have 6 breeding age Pedigree Dexters, my intentions originally were- 2dexter calfs a year to finish at 24m for ourselves and family, 3dangus a year to sell at 24m through the mart and a spare cow for rotating a cow on an off season(we have sufficient land to allow holidays and retirement).

We did this this year although with abysmal AI success and got one pure dex off a heifer and two Dangus off seasoned cows. Despite keeping them on slimmer pickings and them calfing successfully and unaided I felt the calfs were larger than I was happy to risk asking of the dams. Had we a malpresentation we would have been in positivly dire straights.

So with this in mind I have inseminated with the intention of creating myself some hybrids (so I'm hoping for heifers) Dexoways
From a layman's point of view if you stood a dexter bull, a Galloway bull and an Angus bull in a line you would have three brothers of increasing size.
I hope to produce an animal not unlike a large fluffy dexter that will then suit carrying and calfing Angus sired calfs.
I am thinking this may produce something perfect (for me as a Smallholder).

Thought you might like to know!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Crossbreeding Dexters for mainstream Carcass size
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 09:46:31 pm »
Keep us updated!  I for one would love the recipe for fluffy dexters!!

My dexter cow has recently had a BB calf and he is a fine big beasty. I'm also interested in producing a bigger carcass but want to retain the flavour of dexter.
She did calve with no problems but am considering using Angus this time as I ultimately would like a dexter x heifer to replace my girl as she's getting on abit now.

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Crossbreeding Dexters for mainstream Carcass size
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:21:11 am »
I used Blackcraig Kodiac a black Galloway bull on one and will do a further 2 in march.
I think it will create a better animal for my Croft which comprises some very rough ground in the very far north and I want them living out, so the extra fluff will help. Another idea was Welsh black, I actually preferred the welach black bull he had a lovely short back which is good for our terrain but our genus man already had the Kodiac straws. I don't know what we'd have to call that either.. a Welsh dexter? :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS