Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting trees for firewood  (Read 27075 times)

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
Planting trees for firewood
« on: December 08, 2009, 07:13:54 pm »
I am thinking that with the rising cost of fuel I need to get organised and plant some trees for firewood. From what I have read ash seems the best (but I am open to suggestions if anyone else has any other views). I am just wondering how many years before I actually get any usable wood? Is coppicing an option, or do I have to chop the whole tree down? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.......

HappyHippy

Re: Planting trees for firewood
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »
Here's the old poem -
The Firewood Poem
Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

As for how long to harvesting - you can coppice to encourage lots of new growth and it gives you some wood (or cuttings for new trees if it's willow, maybe some others will take in this way, but I know willow's great) maybe around 5 years before you start to get any wood, but again, this depends on the exact varieties you choose and if you're looking to cut down entire trees a fast growing pine or spruce will be around 15 years or so before it's worth the effort involved in felling. Although this is just my opinion, I'm sure you'll get lots more advice  ;)
Hope this helps a bit ?
Karen

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:17:19 pm »
What a nice poem, I'll think of that when we get round to burning the 25 metre poplar tree that we felled earlier in the year.

We use oak mainly for our woodburner but do not grow it ourselves. Apple, pear and plum trees burn nicely (we only chop them if they are already dead though)

British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:12 pm »
That's a great poem HappyHippy  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 09:19:28 pm »
I have LOADS of Leylandii - can it be burned in a log burning stove?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:53 pm »
we got rid of tons of laylandi wood it give out lots of oil. so i would use it mixed with others.

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 03:47:31 am »
Hi Rumpleteazer

I've been looking into this a little my self and I've come across a few helpful pages.

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1806

http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/section/3767

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1519

I think basically you're looking at between 7 and 12 years before you can start harvesting the wood.  There's a difference of opinion on planting density but I'd guess closer, then you can thin if needed.

Ash seems like a winner (as the poem says) but if you want a more varied forest (again the drawbacks of monoculture seem to be disputed) I think Beech, Hazel, Oak, Elm are good burners

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 05:58:25 pm »
In the UK, Ash got its name because it was used to produce ash!! It was a popular fuel for the kitchen fire.

It burns cleanly - once dry - and produces a good amount of heat. I have a hedge down one side of my field which contains about a dozen coppiced ash stumps. I am cutting them on a 5-6 year rotation now that they are established. Each stump produces 4-6 x 5 metre stems about 15 cm diameter which cut into nice sized logs.

The only bad thing I can say about Ash trees is that they produce long roots which spread under the soil up to 100 metres. Unless these are cut from time to time, new trees appear all over the adjacent area spreading the trees where they are not wanted.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 03:43:04 pm »
Sycamore and Balsam Poplar grow quickly and burn well also willow.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 07:56:45 pm »
I just planted 45 willow sticks (from HappyHippy - thank you, Karen)  When will I know if they have 'taken'.  Thsi si in preparation fro a log burnign stove as soon as I can get the guys to put in the wall plate.   Brrrr - could do with it now!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 08:52:34 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will look at planting some ash trees when the ground defrosts!! Anyone know any good and affordable suppliers? I was looking at www.tree-shop.co.uk, but I have no idea what they are like.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:56:40 pm by Rumpleteazer »

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 08:47:03 am »
Hi,
We've used these guys (amongst others) and found them to be very good. Don't know exactly where you are, but they do deliver if it's too far to drive yourself.
http://www.cheviot-trees.co.uk/

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:16:58 am »
We're planting willow and ash for firewood. this spring we are going to copy a pal who planted some huge logs - 6 foot logs of green willow which produced a huge amount of growth in year one. It works well as a wind break and then to cut and dry. A really quick way of producing sticks.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS