Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shrink-wrap bags for freezing poultry  (Read 4239 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Shrink-wrap bags for freezing poultry
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:07:17 am »
I have finally found a source of shrink wrapped bags for freezing poultry.

I wanted to try it after reading about it on this blog but didn't want to get them from the States.

I couldn't find them anywhere in UK but finally found a packaging company that will do small quantities for smallholders or people who only want to do a small number of chickens at a time.

Good quick response and very smallholder friendly.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Shrink-wrap bags for freezing poultry
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 11:14:26 am »
is it similar to shrink wrap for soaps etc? ie do you have to heat it to shrink it?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 03:02:48 pm »
Yes. These come in bags and you dip it in hot water for a few seconds then straight in the freezer. I'm not sure what the shrink wrap for soap is like. Does it come in sheets?

The only slight disadvantage is that the plastic can tear if there are any sharp edges (e.g. bone ends) sticking out.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:49:14 pm »
What's the difference between this and vacuum packing? Is one way better than the other?
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 11:13:36 pm »
the soap one is either sheets or pockets, and you aim the hairdrier at it shrinks pretty fast.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 11:34:21 pm »
What's the difference between this and vacuum packing? Is one way better than the other?

I suspect it won't be sealed from air & bacteria  at the ends like a vac & heat sealed bag will so will be able to decay quicker .
 It is also less abrasion /piercing resistant , a pin sized  hole will let air & bacteria in to get a hold over a few weeks .
That will lead to freezer burn in the area of the hole as well as eventual decay .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:30 am »
Well - obviously - the end is sealed once the shrink wrap is done as suggested on the blog.

Can you get gusseted vacuum pack bags for chicken carcasses? I have never seen them.

I wouldn't be able to get a whole chicken carcass into a vacuum bag and have enough plastic left over at the ends to make a good seal. We only have a basic vacuum packer which is great for sliced stuff like bacon etc but the bulk of a chicken carcass would make it difficult to make the ends meet for a good seal on our machine. 

That's why I like this method for more bulky items. Certainly for us - I doubt the chicken will be in the freezer for very long. :yum: :hungry: :hungry:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS