Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farrowing early?  (Read 2354 times)

Sasha

• Joined Dec 2013
Farrowing early?
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:38:34 pm »
Hi,

How early can a gilt farrow?  I've got a Middle White gilt who's due 2 weeks today but she's already really bagged up (so much that it all swings as she walks) and her teats are getting fatter every day.

Thanks in advance

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Farrowing early?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 07:13:34 am »
My ma used to say " they'll come out of the oven when they're cooked" In other words the piglets will be born when they're ready. Some sows bag up early, some just before the birth. Keep an eye and don't worry :) :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:46:01 am »
Her udder can start to form from a month before birth. You'll find her vulva will start to swell before birth too and once you see milk spurting from her teats you should have piglets within 24 hours  :thumbsup:

We've had them go over, but never come early  ;)
HTH

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 10:53:01 am »
different breeds are different though surely, my sheep always came a week early and i put that down to them being a smaller breed. just be prepared.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 10:59:36 am »
Yup........the one thing I've learned with pigs is just when you think you've got something sussed, they go and surprise you again  ;D
Could be, Middle Whites are smaller pigs, so you might get them early.
Have you got her separated and in her farrowing pen? If not, I'd do that just to be on the safe side  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 11:12:42 am »
ooohhhh i got my first LIKE  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

;D

Sasha

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 04:15:32 pm »
Thanks everyone, I put her in a separate stable on her own last week and she's looking heavy and tired now.  Her bag has been forming over the last month and I spend way to much time looking at pigs backside's for one reason or another!  I've spent the last 18 years breeding horses but I think this is just as stressful!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS