Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long will meat keep  (Read 1487 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
How long will meat keep
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:02:56 pm »
As I mentioned in a previous post, how long can I safely hang onto some pork joints, chops etc in fridge before shipping? I need to collect from butcher on a Friday but posting for sat delivery is really expensive. If I can wait until Monday it is less than half the price.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: How long will meat keep
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 10:40:03 pm »
no way, i wouldnt keep meat longer than 5 days, but for best practise it should be used within 2 days if its fresh.
id rearrange the killing day to one more suitable - or get it hung until monday morning then butchered.
once its cut up and in your fridge - it should go straight out in post.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 10:43:14 pm »
Oh well, parcel force it is then! Cheaper than APC but still £36.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:03:16 am »
I went to a very good talk at the Royal Welsh this year. They said that there is 10 days 'life' in a piece of meat. You have to take into account the time the abattoir has had it and then you have the rest of the ten days to freeze it, eat it, etc. if you freeze within this time it is apparently quite safe to defrost and re freeze again providing you are still within the ten day limit.

I can see that you have decided to post over the weekend and I think it's the right thing to do otherwise you leave the customer with very little choice because by the time the meat gets to them it will probably already be about on its 10 day limit.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS