Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Controlling the smell of billies  (Read 6105 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Controlling the smell of billies
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:00:25 pm »
i have 2 billies working this year, each in a stable with his girls, with shavings bedding. with an empty stable between them.
the stable is quite close to our house, (and our neighbours) and they stench of billies can be smelt upto 30 metres away, wafting into the house.
any tips on controlling the smell in the air?
and any tips on stopping the smell sticking to you after you have fed/checked them? bar - gloves and a boiler suit?
i try not to touch the billies if i have to go to work, but even touching the stable door is enough to stink strongly.

thanks

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Controlling the smell of billies
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 09:16:47 pm »
That's all part of keeping Billy's. I doubt there is anything you can do to stop it  I personally don't mind the smell although  I must stink when I pop to the shop without getting changed  ::) 
Graham

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:21:14 pm »
its just im slightly worried as the smell around our rental house is very strong - they are only a few metres from the stable, luckily with a fence to block the view, and as we finally have tenants who actually pay the rent, i dont want to upset them.
and im paranoid about stinking at work  :innocent:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:59:29 pm »
Can't suggest anything really. Have you spoken to your tenants about the billy smell ? Maybe it does not bother them and your worrying about nothing. Think if I was in that position I would have mentioned it when they came to view and explained they are only at their worst smell wise during the breeding season
As for smelling at work. Just get showered and changed into your work cloths after you have finished the animals and never go near the Billy's in your work cloths when you get home
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:08:55 pm »
Shampoo them. If you wash legs and heads it should help. Also a friend of mine produces horsey products (Aqueos) and she does a deodorising spray. I found it helped kill the smell when I sprayed on my hands. My chap prongs a bit and I plan on giving him a wash, if only I could find someone to help hold him!  :innocent: :innocent:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:34:00 pm »
we didnt breed last yr, and the yr before the 2nd billy was just young, so i dont remember the smell being strong.  maybe they are extra smelly as they each have girls now.
im hoping the tenants dont realise the smell is urine  :innocent:

we have to use the stable for a few hours to geld a pony next week, thatl be eye watering  :roflanim:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:36:15 pm »
I don't find it bothers me much  ???

might get the odd waft now and again and the girls seem to like it  :love:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 11:10:39 pm »
It is the head and down the front and legs that has the smell.  Even just removing the males feed tub, means my hands are covered in billy smell.  But having three intact males, and the young ones just starting to smell, I am well used to the smell, and it does not bother me now.  It bothers my husband, who does not get involved with the animals, and he is always complaining he can smell goat|!!

I used to keep my intact goat at the side of the lane, in a stable, so passers by and the people in the barn opposite must have smelt him when the wind blew that way, but no one said anything.  I find the smell wanes as the breeding season goes on if that's any consolation.

On the days I work, I am very careful not to touch the males - and get changed, but it does still linger!!

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 11:11:38 pm »
You maybe able to dumb it down by washing etc but if you had the facility I would personally hand mate the girls and keep the boys in their own housing because it will be in the wood for a long time !! I used to keep gloves, wellies and a coat specifically for handling the boys, trying to avoid them isn't an option in my book, they deserve contact the same as the girls. It may be as well to explain to your tenants what and why the smell is so that they are aware of what it is and that in the off breeding season the smell should be much less !!! Hopefully :roflanim:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 08:42:33 pm »
I have put overalls on my Christmas present list! I do quite like the smell but only have one and he has only started smelling since August.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 09:47:56 pm »
I have one running with the girls and a group of 7 running together at night.You can barely smell the,what kind of billies are theym

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 10:28:31 pm »
Last year my neighbour suggested keeping the very smelly angora buck I'd hired in in the field with his cattle to keep the badgers away.
 I think the wind had been blowing his way for a few days and the buck had served all 8 goats in 4 days and was especially pongy, it died down a bit once he'd done his job.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 11:15:04 pm »
they are bagots, they arent keen on the handling part so they arent fussed if not being stroked. hopefully it will calm down soon. i was very close to building a shed closer to the house for the youngsters but have changed by mind now, during the summer i forgot how smelly it is. it does actually make me queasy when im in the stable for any length of time,as it is very potent.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 08:28:09 am »
coffee soap (must have real coffee grounds in it) - shampoo them with it and it can help dumb down the smell. Although I don't make it at the moment, other soap makers will and its worth a try.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 08:32:22 am »
Washing yourself with coffee or lemon juice removes the smell from your hands, Don't wash if you go to the post office- you will not have to queue for long as other folk will evaporate like magic...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS