Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ILL HEN  (Read 1838 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
ILL HEN
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:15:52 pm »
Hi
I have a young sablepoot hen which sounds like it is sneezing and has a cold.  I'm not sure whether this is the problem but she keeps sneezing.  She has been doing this for about a week now.
Does anyone know what is wrong with her?
I would like to know whether I should be giving her anything to cure it?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: ILL HEN
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:58:00 pm »
You need to get Tylan , you will prob need to get from vet, if you haven't already  seperate bird from flock,
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:36:49 am »
Treat her like a child who has a cold and is sneezing. Would you give them anti-biotics? Sorry to disagree but hens get the sniffles too. If it's just sneezing then I would monitor carefully but don't panic. It happens , they get over it and all is fine. If you get any eye swelling or serious respiratory problems you have to decide whether to treat or take other action.

We must stop reaching for anti-biotics at the first sign of  a runny nose or we and the chickens are all going to die.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 05:35:26 am »
We've had chickens with allergies. Move them to a different area and the symptoms disappear. It could be a respiratory infection. It could be Infectious Bronchitis. It may be Mycoplasma. It could just be dusty bedding in the coop or mould. First stage is, on an urgent basis, to thoroughly clean the coop. Watch the hen for swellings around the eyes or bubbles. I agree with Stereo. Antibiotics is a last resort and won't treat IB or Myco anyway. If the coop clean doesn't sort it and there are no other symptoms she has a respiratory infection and will need antibiotics. Problem is they get permanent lung damage and you needed to have tackled this problem a week ago Jayr2.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:16:17 pm »
thanks for the help.
I have separated her, and given her a clean coop with sawdust, (which doesn't seem dusty) and she is still eating and drinking, so I'll wait to see if she improves.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 09:58:10 am »
I've given a tonic called Respite for sniffles-some swear by it but the jury's out for me on it although I have some on standby. Myco can be treated early on in young birds but I think by the time you see something wrong with hens they've generally had it a while and they'll become carriers. if the bird is 'just' sneezing and not wiping her beak alot and no bubbles in eyes then maybe keep her somewhere sheltered and quiet and let her fight it off.

I am currently using Orego-Stim (which is not for treating respiratory issues but for general health) to help some of them with the moult. It has undergone some trials at least and have to say my hens are laying well for this time of year on it (but the weather has been kind). I don't like adding stuff to water unless I am actually treating them for something but they all seem to love the orego-stim.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS